G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally getting around to buying some of these structures. They had a sale at the MWLSTS that had 4 buildings for a good price.
Beings I'm rained off our job I started painting and assembling two of them and decided to combine them.
Not that its wrong, but I don't like buildings that all look alike.
thus I am painting mine different and weathering the roofs.
I also place screen in a couple windows for venting the heat out.
These are very easy to work with and beings I never read the instructions have gone together very well.
Photos later.

I found myself enjoying working on these and thats why I'm sharing it. these are very good beginners projetcs.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After one evening

Need to make a base of cement board water proffed so I can silicone it down. I also placed a 2" tall X 1/*" styrene brace under each ridge.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
That's funny I just got two of their buildings, the signal tower and the VA graining. They go together very easily and look very good. We'll tart them up and set them out next month. I'd really like to get a bunch of them and start combining

They say scale is 1:24 but I have not measured

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
I bought into the same deal at the Arizona convention. Very inexpensive. They are simple to build and lend themselves readily to kit bashing. I also bought some of the store fronts to make into low relief buildings.
All in all with a little bit of work and detail you will end up with a a nice building.
Rod

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Dont leave them out in a hailstorm, they are thinner plastic than Piko or Pola, anything larger than dime-size hail is likely to leave damage, golfball size hail will likely destroy them.

Be cool to watch though

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Posted By vsmith on 10/15/2008 9:08 AM
Dont leave them out in a hailstorm, they are thinner plastic than Piko or Pola, anything larger than dime-size hail is likely to leave damage, golfball size hail will likely destroy them.

Be cool to watch though

Nah, mine have weathered a few hail storms (dime size), and fallen tree braches without a problem. I even have an old Lindbergh kit warehouse outdoors and that's much thinner plastic. The trick is to reinforce the roof ridge the buidling corners. I used ripped cedar or Trex scraps and cement them in with 5 minute epoxy. Works great, Beave! -Brian

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats COLD Donny,,,coold!!!!!
I set them out tonight but I still don't like the plastic look to them. needs the colors to brake that up.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Posted By Trains on 10/15/2008 3:42 PM
Almost looks as if Marty is changing over to narrow gauge!

Now that you mention it, he was drooling over the NG equipment alot during his open house.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm real happy with the water tower weathering, but the platform of the section house needs help.
Yes up on the new line in the tree line behind the elevator.
The signal tower is all white like U.P. used to white wash their buildings. I've seen in photos.
It will be next to the walk over at Golding. That will be the towers name also.

I still need to build the bridge at Craig's Canyon. Just have not gotten into the welding mood yet.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Marty,

I bought some of those buildings, Jane has been painting them and putting them together... Bought some more at the Midwest Show....

When she has the walls together, I get some Acrylic clear plastic from Home Depot, and cut it, to form an inside wall, for:
1) providing windows, and
2) to strengthen the walls up...

She then glues the acrylic inside to the model walls, makes a lot of difference to the strength..

Andy

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good idea Andy, glad your wife looks out for you.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Hmmm....The smaller of those two building would be a good start for a sand drying house, build a pit to the left side maybe?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts