G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I had a great responce for my bell and now I understand it more.
I need lens for signal that I have been looking for under google for several months now and found lots of people liking signals but no parts. Now I can (I think) order 30 per color from General Signal which is the glass you see below which I will have to cut the orginal brass screw heads off to get it out for a more correct mesurment but as I check it now (eyeballn with tape) shows 6 1/2".
And a big question is why AT&SF use white/clear signal?
There is a note on this signal R-2 they choped the bottom off and made it a dwarf signal out of it. So red was top and clear bottom.

Thanks Much!
Toad

·
Registered
301 Posts
Dear OTF:

Last month I was driving at Florida Ave. and S. 1st street in Milwaukee ( it was night) when I saw a lunar white signal, but not a dwarf. I have no clue as to what it was for.

I note that many years ago I saw a similar signal lying in the bushes by an abandoned railroad. It had a lens just like yours. Closer inspection showed that while the broken lens was a clear color, there was another fresnel lens inside which was green. I was told that the Griswold Signal Co. made a replacement lens, but that was then. For what it is worth. . .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tom,
It does have clips for the back to mount another lens in. Which it had none BUT could have droped out! Only 2 loose holders was there, remember loose, so yes it could have had a green which I would not doubt it.

What is a red lens like that one called? (with the ribs)

Toad

·
Registered
301 Posts
Toad,

The lens with the circular ribs would be a Fresnel-style lens. That lens has a magnifying effect an a light behind it. (I would expect to see that on all signals except crossing signals.)

As to the correct color: who knows? You can make a reasonable guess if you know exactly what the signal's function was.

cheers

(deleted duplicate posting, SteveC mod.)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Posted By Tom Leaton on 05/13/2008 9:03 AM
Toad,

As to the correct color: who knows? You can make a reasonable guess if you know exactly what the signal's function was.

cheers

(deleted duplicate posting, SteveC mod.)

Tom,
Sorry to be so long to post to you.
The signal's function was a dwarf signal. But color red in top and clear in bottom who knows! Old AT&SF one thou.
Toad

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To All that replied,
I found a 6 3/8" glass red lens and 3 gaskets with 2 green glass lens 6 3/8".:D
Now for the sand blasting before it goes to the machinest./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crying.gif
Toad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts