G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the cold weather arrived way too early this year in Fort Washington. I mean it's been way too cold for November and December. I know alot of you live in colder climates, and that I shouldn't complain, but that's your problem. One solice is that being retired and only working when I want to, I don't have to get out of bed at five AM and be on a frozen jobsite, in the dark! The only heat on those days is in the tools. I think the coldest place I ever spent a winter was at Great Lakes Naval Training Center, in Illinois back in 1966. Forget running trains! Even the Preiser citizens are bitching. I just hope we don't have one of those ice winters like we had around here in 1993/94. I chopped ice and shoveled snow once around the planet it seemed that year.

OK, I've had my say. The one good thing about December 21 is that in about a week or so the days start getting longer.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
That was the year I left Ill for basic training at Ft Bliss Tx. I remember they had more snow than they knew what to do with. They loaded into gons and shipped it to Tx as they had no ware to push the snow as it got so bad . Glade I was in sunny Tx and running around in shirt sleaves. Of course the wife was non to happy to have to sholve snow. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
I have to agree with you all the way. I always hated Cold Wheather. I hated spending almost 6 months inside. I hated GRAY DAYS with out sunshine.

The last 14 years here in AZ have been great. There is plenty of sunshine and warm.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
From my perspective, "winter weather" started very late this year!
we are a full 2-months into winter already, and we didnt get the first major snow until Friday..
much later than usual!

but look on the bright side!
winter is 40% over already! :)
2 months down..3 to go.

Scot

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Posted By Scottychaos on 12/22/2008 6:51 PM
From my perspective, "winter weather" started very late this year!
we are a full 2-months into winter already, and we didnt get the first major snow until Friday..
much later than usual!

but look on the bright side!
winter is 40% over already!

2 months down..3 to go.

Scot

Well....technically, winter started yesterday, 21 Dec 2008...the classical winter soltice. I still figure the Brits have winter defined right...and that the winter soltice is the MIDDLE of winter...not the beginning.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
GLakes, huh?
Sandy Eigo.

But, nothing is worse, and I mean nothing, than standing a topside mid-watch on a 637 class SSN in New London.

There isn't enough Navy Coffee to keep you warm and awake.

I'll tell ya what.
I'll let you know NOW it ain't over with.
Our storm of yesterday should be your way about Wednesday, and the one coming Tomorrow should be your way just after Christmas.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Bubba,
You have my sympathy! We are in the deep freeze too. 6F this morning with 25mph wind.... Windchill -4F..

JimC.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Madman, I agree with ya..something about the Great Lakes area produces a bone chilling cold...brrrr...

Infact we're just climbing out of sub-zero artic blast that had us down in the -35 windchill here in the Chicago area.

Coldest I've ever been is one night in the 1980's driving truck between Salt Lake City, Utah & Evanston Wyoming climbing Parley's Summit up in the Wasatch mountains the Salt Lake radio station I had on said it was something like -65 in Ogden Utah...rows of boxes of oranges froze both to the walls & floor of my reefer trailer..and the heat was on back there!!

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Give me palm trees over pine trees any day.
Mikey says,"

I still figure the Brits have winter defined right...and that the winter soltice is the MIDDLE of winter...not the beginning."

I have a different take on that Mikey , over here the locals say, we have nine months of winter and three months of bad weather!

I'd take The American South West any day.
Rod

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Gee-whiz guys

A few very cold days every couple of decades, I'll bet Ron Simpson is finding all this amusing.

As for cold, I'll stack chipping saltwater ice off the superstructure coming across the North Atlantic in January against a New London deck watch.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Agree 100% with Dan. Way too cold for my liking in the western part of the state as well. Some ice on the overhead during the weekend! I'm retired, so I go out when I feel like it. The wife has 18 more months to go, so I don't rub it in. I just make sure dinner is ready when she comes back at night. When we get past Easter we'll be in high cotton!

·
Premium Member
Getting our home built so maybe we can start playing with trains again!
263 Posts
If things hold to what the last two were like......We should be outta the thick of things in a month and a half.

Nothing really starts to come back until March but the days do get warmer. Coldest we've been here though this year was the last night or two and hit the mid teens. Not too unusual but considering we'll be 40 today, 62 tomorrow and 70 by saturday, it plays real heck on the system.

Not complaining since we're just entering and just getting ready to leave winter but then again......Some dang late winter Nor'easter is gonna play havoc long about March. We're due too. I'd really like to see some snow..... but now, not in March.Doohhh!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
We're having a pretty good snow again today.

This is almost like I remember winters as a kid.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Sheesh I wont complain about the BALMY 38 we have here this AM...

....about as cold as it gets here

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
TOC - my son in law is there right now - at the subase in Groton. My daughter actually loves the weather (snow and such) but he was born in Trinidad and I think agrees with your observations. Of course, they're still young and have hot blood....

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
Nope I have to disagree with Scot L. up in Rochester Ny. Down here south of Buffalo we normally get a snow storm or two before Christmas but since Halloween it's been storm after storm. Warm enough spells in between that we don't have ALL the snow we have gotten total left on the ground but enough that it's made a mess when we do get a thaw. Tonight and tomorrow will be a nasty mess. Highs predicted in the mid 40's and consistant rain once the sun comes up. Freezing rain over night. So far however the worst has been changing a flat tire yesterday in the wee small hour of morning. At 5:30 am it was 3 degrees with who knows what for a windchill. Damn car. I do not mind winter EXCEPT driving in the snow and shovelling or snowblowing.

Chas

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
OHHH! NOOOOOooOOOooo! They was right!

Global warming hit here last night... at 6 PM yesterday my remote outdoor thermometer read minus 1 deg (F), then it started UP! Right now (11:20 AM) it reads POSITIVE 29.

I think I will panic now!

·
Premium Member
749 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Parents used to live in mid Florida (Mid Florida Lakes to be exact [Leesburg area]) and I have visited... Nice place to live... until, that is, the bugs come out, the temperatures go up and the humidity sticks to you like duct tape... what's that leave? the middle week of January when it is nice? No thanks, I'd rather pay somebody to shovel snow!

Oh yeah, then there was the 10-ft aligator that parked itself between the side of their car and the door to their house under the carport. Dad nearly stepped on it going out to get the paper!

SNOW! I love snow, gators don't!

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
A new record for this date in Queensbury, NY (southern Adirondacks) of -19 degrees F. But it was MUCH warmer 10 miles away at my house.... only -9 degrees F with 28" of snow on the ground. The ski slope 1/4 mile behind me has all lifts in operation. So much for global warming!

Best regards, and Happy Holidays,

Alan

1 - 20 of 35 Posts