G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone manufacture steel coil cars? I know USA & Aristo don't offer any. Is anybody aware of any out there?

It wouldn't be too difficut to scratch build I suppose. I could modify Bryans gondola plans to accept the coil covers.

If anyone knows of any, let me know please.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Not necessarily to do w/ coil cars, but as a load for a gondola matybe, is a SLINKY - the toy. The are coiled, flat spring steel, look scale to me, and made of the real thing - metal.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Dave,

Take a standard gondola & cut it down in length.. 30 feet looks about right for the new BNSF coil cars..

BulletBob

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Dave, i do have drawing it cover gondola "Soo line" AKA coil car just alike raiigon gondola drawing! i do have coil car drawing if i can found my old railroad magizine.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Just go buy an HO scale one and a 1:29 / 1:87 ruler and make it. thats how I do all of mine.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes Marty, but that kind of advice is like having DaVinci tell me to "just grab some brushes and a little paint and start smearing it on the canvas".

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Dave

dear dear Dave
buy an HO scale one and take it apart, that shows you how to construct it. If I can do it so can any one. And yes I have taken a bush and painted a master piece.

always start with a flat sheet, then bolster, then couplers, once you have the heigth and it can run on the track you can build anything on that flat sheet.

My very first car was the gondola. I was given the basic sizes ( of which Jens friend who his name has slipped my mind) he got from an HO car. (the same car Bryan now has built)
then off I went.
Someday I may become another Burl Rice or a Byran Smith , but thats way up there in cloud 9.

Matter of fact, Stan Cedarleaf had me cut him some basic car parts and shipped them to him so he could build some very simple cars and he added the details.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are far too modest sir. I have seen the work you are capable of (Bryan's fuel tender for his Gas turbine), and your work is exemplary.

I'm certain I could handle the build up. I have Bryan's plans for the gon. I think I could make the coil car happen with a few minor mods.

My previous post was a sad attempt at flattery towards you.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
The fuel tender came after around 30 car builds. when it comes to detail I lose interest. thats why mine are basic. I do want to do a set of coil cars. But then thats a winter project. I just came in from spraying weeds, I hate this time of year. too much rain and weeds, grasses.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll let ya know Bryan. It'll be a while before I start anyway.. I have a lot of construction to do on the Spring Expansion of trackwork (starting next week !! ) before I try the coil cars. I'll try to get going on them in June or July. I'd like to have a couple done before the August meeting at my house.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Dave
I'll ask Eric if he has one I can borrow , then I will make a list of basic sizes and parts and post it in the "Modern Mainliner Masters" thread. Or something like that.
Thats for folks who don't like engines with girly names .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts