G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
474 Posts
I really should stay more current with reading the posts to these forums. I just saw the Slate Creek response about transition track and the statement that Mt. Washington cog railroad has no transition. I realize that was several months ago. Now I feel the need to post a couple of photos from my motorcycle trip to the top of Mt. Washington from a couple of years ago.

I let y'all decide if that is transition track (or not).

Obviously, the live steam locomotive has to stay on the incline to prevent the water from leaving the crown plate in the boiler.

That would be really neat to model the Mt. Washington cog railway. If anyone finds a manufacturer or supplier for a G-gauge model of the Mt. Washington steam cog locomotive (and passenger car), I would be interested in buying one. Of course, compatable rack gear for the track is also required.

To model the entire 3 mile route, one would need a 160 foot change in elevation (assuming 1:22 scale). I would settle for modeling a small part of the route.

· Premium Member
474 Posts
Chuck N,

You are absolutely right about the "Gravity Couplers".

I was more interested in the steam locomotive than the "coupler" when I took this photo, but if you look to the far right, you might notice there is no coupler.

Since I rode my motorcycle up the road to the summit, I never got to see the train yard at the base of Mt. Washington. I wonder how they move the passenger cars around on the level in the train yard. (Assuming the train yard is level.) I guess they can only push and shove. No pulling.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.