G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
There was an earlier thread that discussed the prper size cars for the S2. Some one is gonna make the cars for the S2.
I understand that the cost will be about 600 plus per car but may be will worth it.
I am enjoying running my S2 with the USA Aluminum cars, Gonna try the S2 with the green Aristo heavyweights as well to see
how they look.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Currently Pete Comley at Sunset Valley is advertising some correct heavyweight coaches that are going to be marked over the next year+. As I understand it, individual cars are going to be released about every four months starting around October. Check out the Sunset Valley website for additional details. Currently the only other proper scale option for heavyweights is J&M coaches from England and they are pricey. Also a properly lettered Great Northern set has not been released by J&M.

Ross Schlabach

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Wow, those Sunset Valley cars are pretty impressive!!!

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Currently the only other proper scale option for heavyweights is J&M coaches from England and they are pricey. Also a properly lettered Great Northern set has not been released by J&M.
Ross Schlabach

Ross - I thort that all J&M's production of non-British outline rolling stock had moved to The Netherlands?

tac

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Hello

You may be interested to know that Mr John Waggott who produced J&M coaches for 20+ years retired a few years ago and sold the business. I am told that the new owner in the Netherlands is making J&M coaches again although I have never seen any.

if anyone in the UK wants some secondhand J&M Heavyweight J&M's then I have some for sale. They are quite expensive /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/cry.gif but are excellent quality. Buyer collects since sending coaches by mail or courier will result in guaranteed damage!

Contact me off board if interested

Andrew

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have run my S2 with the heavyweight coach sample that Pete Comley will be selling. It was sitting out in the open sun on a rare 90 degree day here and the car remained stable. The car is of cast resin and with my experience in the past with resin castings is that they are subjected to shrinkage due to temperature and the resin material drying out. With the cost and long term stability an issue, I had some apprehension. I believe these cars will be an excellent addition behind our S2s and worthy of the cost until someone comes out with a metal model in 1:32. I have a set of the Aristocraft cars, while not perfect, are OK for now.

·
Registered
235 Posts
other than SVRR i've talk to Kern Valley's Phil Bronner. they have an 8-1-2 sleeper in a #3979 plan as a kit available now. i've never seen one in person, but there are some pictures at their site:

http://www.kernvalleyrailway.com/kernvalleyrailway/id26.html

i don't know the whole story, but i have the feeling he also may have contracted to do a Buffet-Lounge-Sun Room (#1070 series) observation. since this is one car i'm very anxious to see, i may put a deposit on one (kit price is going to be fairly high), but from what i've seen these cars will be fully detailed with interiors. the more interest shown, i'm going to imagine, the more incentive will be there to complete the project.

i've been doing some research on the EB i'd like to see and SVRR is probably going to eventually fill that bill.

the head-end would be two or three cars:
1 -- #25-36 -- 60' RPO
1 -- Baggage/Express
or
1 -- #52-71 combine RPO/REA
plus
1 -- #646-667 -- 2nd class Coach
(used as a Dorm/smoker)

tourist section:
2 -- #938-949 - deluxe coaches
2 -- 16 section sleepers (Pullman pool service)

1 -- #1030-1051 - 36 seat Diner

first class travel:

2 -- 8-1-2 Sleepers (named; Plan 3979A)
1 -- 12-1 Sleeper

and of course:
1 -- #1070-1076 - Buffet, Lounge, Sun Room Observation

this would be valid for and EB off-season consist from about 1935 to 1939. the only thing that bothers me about the SVRR cars is that they will be non-a/c and at least for the 8-2-1 sleepers, the research i've done indicates they were built for the EB as air conditioned cars. of course, it would not be a insurmountable task to modify the roof/undercarriage.

by the way, the Wikipedia 1929 Empire Builder consist is wrong. the deluxe coaches (not 1st class) listed were not built until 1935, and the 6 section - 6 double bedroom cars were not added until 1939 (as rebuilds of 14 section cars). to make the consist i listed as valid from the start (1930-35), you only have to replace the Deluxe Coaches with 80' coaches (#950-979 series).

cheers...gary

·
Registered
114 Posts
If Pete is available this weekend, I will run out to his place to steam again and will do a more thorough photo shoot of the car and will update my membership here so that I can post photographs. I supplied Pete with photographs of a beautiful set of HO brass GN Pullman cars for reference, which I think he has supplied to the builder.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I am throwing my lot in with the SVRR coaches.
Gary- thanks for the info- We were concerned about what the tourist cars were, and I have independently confirmed the 16 section
Pullman pool

We should talk to Peter about the A/C issue.

I also note that the tender goat is from after 1935

jim o

1 - 11 of 11 Posts