G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  The CNJ Live Steamers got together Sunday to have a "bachelor" steam-up for Jason Kovac.  The weather was cold and very windy making it a challenging steam-up. The local live steamers here are well prepared for the cold (running alcohol or tender heaters) but the wind was a problem.... 

Since Jason had trouble waking up for his steam-up, things got under way without him. His cattle cars and box cars (that were left at Dan's) were called into action on this windy day, and Mother Nature gently tilted them over for all to admire what a great job he did weathering the walkways. (Sorry Jason /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crying.gif)

Bill had a great run with his switcher.

I was totally impressed with Jeff's C-16. It had a TON of mods (R/C, hand pump, K-27 gas tank, tender heater, very loud chuff). All the engine to tender connections were made underneath the loco- including the gas! Also notice how the engine to tender gap is nice and close.

K-27 and C-16 run side by side.

Jeff's gorgous Hartford caboose

One thing you can always depend on at a steam-up is for your fellow live steamers to find a small detail you made a mistake on......Anyone care to guess what's wrong here??

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Thanks for posting Dave.  Even I will admit that the previous meets in Dec, Jan and Feb felt warmer...   

Good thing Jason showered, shaved and even "waxed" his hair before he managed to show up to his bachelor steam meet.  I doubt he will take that much time to prepare for his wedding, maybe he was waiting for it to get warmer out....    The people that left early missed out on Amanda's great cookies.

In spite of the small detail error on the tender and 22 MPH winds, the Berk ran great.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Dave
Might be the mistake that not enough standard guage coverage in the photos!

The meet was amazing in the engines actually fired and ran quite well.

Dan
I forgot the video.  So, that will give me the encouragement to return to the wind frozen layout of live steam.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Even though I was late, I was hoping for the cold to go away but it was not going to happen. So here are a few shots I took. 

The steam whisper taught well....

And his C16 getting ready to go back to the shops.

Here is Bill's reworked GS4 running possibly his last run here on the CNJ Track.

Here is a new approach to blowing down the boiler...Try that on the Cabfoward

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RE: CNJ Live Steamers meet 3-9-08 - Cold & Windy

Chalres,

When I showed up Dan was bringing the Berk in and I failed to photograph her in time.... After that only Bill ran his SG switcher, and NG took over for a while. When I was leaving Bill was firing the GS-4 and Dan was trying to have you and Ryan take over on the Berk, so I did not get to photograph either..../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/angry.gif 

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
For this point on, Bill shall be recalled by the CNJ membership as Nevada Bill.  I know we will see him one other time at ECLSTS  and maybe at Dr. Rivets?

Dave
We did that with the cab forward but with two people!

Dan
Get a better fan!!

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Charles,

On the fan - I replaced the batteries and had enough pressure for the blower in less than 4 minutes.   

Hopefully "Nevada" Bill will make it one last time in April before he moves and bring his full set of Accucraft Daylight coaches.  If one Daylight can not pull them we can double or triple head.    

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Charles I like it! When i do move I will change from NHSTEAMER to Nevada Bill, that sounds good. Anyway thank you Dan for having me and a big thanks to Jeff for re-timing the mogul. (the right way insted of my way) I will see you all at ECLSTS and I got the info for Dr. Rivets just not sure yet, if I do go it will be without a Loco. Moving west just to ship a loco east:confused:  We will see.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
RE: CNJ Live Steamers meet 3-9-08 - Cold & Windy

After this weekend, my house and everything else outside became coated in a glaze of ice, and the track all but disappeared under the coating. But, strangely, no wind in our area, so very little damage. Did get to participate at a VGRS indoor electric setup at a trainshow on Saturday, returning home at 30/35 mph following the snow(ice?) plows.

Hope to see some of the CNJ crew at York later this month. Llyn Rice is planning to bring his new K-28 with the RC now installed.

Larry

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Posted By David Rose on 03/10/2008 6:48 AM

One thing you can always depend on at a steam-up is for your fellow live steamers to find a small detail you made a mistake on......Anyone care to guess what's wrong here??

the toolbox is inside out..... /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
620 Posts
I think I see a "black hole" in the coal load! And it just swallowed up a alcohol regulator valve.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Dan,
To answer your request for a April steam-up with the daylight cars, looks like I will not make it. After York everything has to go into shipping boxes to go west. I found out last night that my house is SOLD and we have to move out by April 15Th so it looks like York will be my last east coast steam-up. Hope to see you all there.:)

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Posted By insanerocketkid on 03/11/2008 6:54 AM

the toolbox is inside out..... 

You are correct!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts