G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rails were too dirty to run electric and I and I didn't feel like firing a steam locomotive so I had a run with some clockwork trains. The train was too long for one 0-4-0 locomotive so I ran a double header combining Märklin and Bing:
Regards
Fred

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
Fred;

Thank you. It is so enjoyable to see clockwork running merrily along. I still have most of an O gauge Overland Flyer clockwork train. I never saw the tender body, so I am guessing that it went missing sometime before I was born (& I am 74 years old for about another month and a half). The locomotive, tender, and single coach were originally the toys of my Uncle Joe Larish.

Best Wishes, David Meashey

·
Registered
252 Posts
I too have a nostalgic liking for tinplate and have kept my 1950's hornby 0-4-0 tank loco and here it is on a friends dual gauge layout (45 & 32 mm gauge) with a 0-6-0 Basset-Lowke by Bing I think. Fred can you inform me of the origin of the 0-6-0?
We sometimes run clockwork after a "hard days steaming" on this track and always enjoy it and we both like seeing video's of vintage things from your vast collection Fred, thanks
Russell

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Russell,
The 0-6-0 is indeed a Bassett-Lowke, it is called the Bassett Lowke standard tank and is a freelance model which they made in various liveries over the years in clockwork and electric. They made it from 1933 - 1967 and it was not made by Bing (Bing production was stopped in 1933) but was made by Bassett Lowke in Northampton in England. The version you show (British Railways no 68211) was made from 51-67 and looks very good next to the Hornby 0-4-0. I have an electric version of the Lowke 0-6-0 in LNER livery which was also postwar (47-50):

Regards
Fred

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Russell,
Here is the tank engine in a 1951 Bassett-Lowke O Gauge catalogue.
Jerry,
Not expensive at all - £8 1s 4d is only $11.17 US.
Oh, you probably mean today!!!!
Probably very hard to find one anyway.
Cheers,
David

1 - 9 of 9 Posts