G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
> Is the Shay next?

Eventually I would like to build a Shay but probably not as the next project. I have been thinking of some smaller items such as log cars. Also, I have been thinking of functional tank cars to haul water and butane. To use Kozo Hiraoka's shay plans for Gauge 1 would require some serious re-sizing and rearrangement to have the drive shaft straight for 3ft NG. Dan Rowe's Shay plans are being published in SITG and are of interest to everyone who likes the geared locos. His model is somewhat larger than 20.3 scale and would be tall compared to my Climax and Heisler.

Ed

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Hi Ed. Everyone is looking forward to seeing the Climax this Saturday. The pictures look great.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
That, Sir, is one beautiful model and a great achievement in any scale. It would take prizes at any model engineer exhibition here in UK, of that I have no doubt. A building log of this model should be compulsory reading for anybody interested in scratch-built live steam.

The boys and I offer you our heartiest congratulations.

tac & the boys
www.ovgrs.org

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
"Water & butane??" Herb Chaudiere had several tank cars that held "grape juice", the seasoned kind. The flat car behind them held "grape juice" glasses.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Ed,
I really enjoyed your pictures on Flicker and got a feel for the tremendous amount of work involved. You can be proud of your accomplishment. It's a beautiful piece of work. I hope to see a movie of it running. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys!

Dwight - I started in Feb 2006, so it will hopefully be a little less than 2 years when I am through painting and through debug.

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
Truly spectacular work Ed. You mentioned once before that you used Kozo's plans basically scaled by 1mm=1/32". How did this work out? Hit any snags?

Thanks, Bob

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks!

Bob, Yes, I basically followed Kozo Hiraoka's design with each mm becoming 1/32", and 1.089" width being removed from the trucks. Other changes include o-rings instead of graphite yarn, latch plates on the trucks, and the scissor hinged roof. I also made the roof and tank from 1/16" sheet which is heavier than the plans. The photos on Flickr show how I lined the tank bottom with filed pieces instead of bent pieces. There were a few times when I modified the plans to not use smaller than 0-80 fasteners, or to provide more room around the fasteners, but on the whole scaling the plans was pretty direct. It can get tricky to silver solder pipe nozzles right near a bend, and sometimes I made the hole in a union nut larger to be able to move it further away. The dummy air compressor is from Kozo's new shay plans, except I cut 4 rings of dummy bolt heads by CNC instead of working with tiny screws.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
It is almost a shame to paint such excellent craftsmanship. I got into the live steam hobby because a friend of my Dad built 1/2" scale steamers from scratch. He steamed them au natural--don't think any ever were painted.

Beautiful work.

Larry

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
That, Sir, Is one beautiful engine. Would make any loggers heart race a tad. What did you use for paint if I may ask? BTW the plans that Dan Rowe has in the STIG are for a 7/8ths scale shay. You can check his progress over on the 7/8ths Lounge.
Noel

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Noel,

I have used a bake-on coating from KG Systems called Gun-Kote. The product is #2401 Satin Black. I spray it with an airbrush and bake it on at 325F for an hour in a toaster oven. The coating is much thinner than paint or powder coat - maybe 3 tenths of a mil (.0003") so it does not interfere with the fit. Once it has been baked on, you are ready to go. Also, you can touch it up if you need to - something you cannot do with powder coat. The shiny brass was coated with a high temperature clear varnish from Eastwood. The white trim line is also a Gun-Kote 2400 series coating. Also, the Gun-Kote does not harden without baking so cleaning up your airbrush and bottle are less critical than with paints.

Regards,
Ed

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
That's one georgous engine Ed. Looking forward to seeing it run.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts