G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In response to Cliff Ward’s question, here is some info I’ve learned about Climax Locomotives and specifically about using 3-D printed parts from Shapeways.

The owner of ClimaxShop on shapeways, Bill Simonton, spent years working on S/N1550, a 70-ton Class C locomotive at Cass. Among his many jobs, he measured and created 3-D drawings of every part on 1551. The drawings were made for archival purposes but also to help in making wood patterns for those parts that were lost or worn out. It’s these drawings that are the basis of the products on shapeways.

For the skew bevel gears, you’ll need 3 parts per truck:
F217(H)(Final)-1-20th scale (Pinion gear w/horns)
F217(NH) (pinion gear w/o horns)(not listed in 1:20 scale)
509Gear-510Hub-20 (ring gear and hub printed as one piece)

The crossbox is also available but is easy to make and doesn’t show.

Please note that these parts are for a 70 ton machine, but Climax basically scaled up or down each one for different size locomotives. For example, I’m using these gears for a 7/8ths scale 12-ton Class A.

I also have a list of truck side frame parts for those interested.
Line Metal Rim Steel Symmetry
Wood Gas Automotive exterior Font Rectangle
Line Metal Rim Steel Symmetry

·
Registered
581 Posts
John.

Those parts look exquisite, it's these details that make a model look more prototypical and functional.

Cheers
Scott

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Excellent and prototypical looking parts, look like they were machined and not 'printed', amazing. Looks like Bill put his heart and soul into the project.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tradeship, who made slot car parts, sold skew bevels for lowering the motor shaft below the axle.

I remember reading about those but have never seen them. Nice looking truck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The seller claims to have 19 left. I am tempted to buy 4 sets for my Climax A, with the Graham Industries steam engine kit in the middle.
From Carl Wassink at Corry RAILS: the vertical engine from A-313 is 42.5” from the center of the crankshaft to the top of the cylinder cover. That makes the graham engine a little large in 1:20.3 and a little small in 7/8ths. The Saito T2DR is about right for 7/8ths. Microcosm Q3B is a little smaller than the graham TVR1A but both would probably work just fine. I went rogue and ordered an Engine DIY 2-cylinder vertical model that was spot on in height for 7/8ths scale. After waiting 4 months what I got was a hodgepodge of mismatched pistons, bent crank, etc. However, after a couple of days work, it runs like a dream. One step closer to the quest.

I’d say grab on to those gears and whatever engine you can get and start building!

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Graham TVR1a is a fun little engine to build. Make sure you have some magnifying glasses. You might even end up cross eyed for a few days after building it. I would love to find a way to use mine in a trolley or car.

·
Premium Member
6,371 Posts
Graham TVR1a is a fun little engine to build.
One of these days when I am locked in with a pandemic I'll get around to it. [Last year I was in Florida and it was in Maryland so I built other kits.]
I think they sell the ball-bearing upgrade kit now. Putting it in a car or trolley shouldn't be difficult, but it might be easier to start with something that is already steam, like a Mamod or Wilesco traction engine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts