G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a 12' X 16' space for an indoor shelf layout that I want to rund around the room at about 12" to 18 " below the ceiling.  I have 2 X-mass "Annies" and an Aristocraft 0-4-0 as well as a dozen Bachmann Big Hauler  freight cars.    I also want to run some Sierra or Bachmann passneger cars.

If I use Aristocraft 6.5' diameter track what distance will I have to have between the center of the track and the wall so that the trains don't hit the wall as they come around the track?  Incase I want to run dual track later, would these cars and locomotive be okay on a 5' diameter  curve track?   

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Both will operate on as small as a four foot diameter, so fivers are no problem. I used 6 inches as a minimum on my layout I do not have double track so I cant really recommend for that but 8 inches should be OK, best is to set it up on the floor and run trains to see where the clearences are. it will be front overhang on the Annies and center overhang on the passenger cars that will be where you need to check.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Like Vic said, all that equipment will run on R1 (4 foot diameter curves). However...

a 'four foot diameter curve' actually requires about 4.4 feet minimum to make a 180 degree turn; and

when going around a curve that tight, the cowcatcher on the "Annies' will stick about 3 inches over the outer edge of the curve.

That said, the usual recomendation is to go for as wide of curves as you can manage. If you can squeeze in (and find, and afford) R3 (6.5 radius) curves, then by all means go for them.

Width of the shelf is something you might also want to take into account; a 12 inch wide shelf will hold two parallel tracks...with almost no room left for scenery.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts