G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what I've been doing for the past few months. It is based on plans from GR with some alterations to use Evergreen Scale Models styrene sizes and the modified Aristocraft Center Cabs trucks per V Smith's method. Detail parts are from Ozark. I got a lot of help from Thompson, Dunn and Hauff's "The Climax Locomotive" from Oso and some various back issues of "Finescale Railroader" and the "Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette".

All it needs is a bell before I start wiring and painting.
John

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Hi John,

That look nice, well done, I like the Class A and your version is very good; thanks for the photo's

Look forward to more photos when you have it painted up.

Are both trucks powered?

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Fantastic model! Puts mine to shame! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Ive allways liked the class A's and I may have to jump on board, I've saved your photo's along with the other A's .........

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Hey JL,
That is awesome! The Class A is my favorite and your's is just outstanding! It even makes me want to dig out my old NENG kit and finish it, well.....almost!!

I haven't seen you around in a while, now I know why. Good to see you back!

Steve

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
That's one very nice locomotive John. I've always liked the Class A but have never attempted one. I'm looking forward to more on your project.

Doc

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'd say you have done yourself PROUD!!:) That's a great looking Climax, and I can tell you have spent a lot of time working on the detail. I also have the OSO book on Climax engines and the class A is a neat one. Congratu;ations on a job WELL DONE!

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
WOW! Inspiring. Inspiring enough for me to see if I could find the book. About $325 at Alibris! Ouch! I'll wait on this project!

Chas

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
John: Very nice job, sure turned out beautifully. Can't wait to see her out on the track.

For some reason I thought the back of the cab was open on the "A". At any rate, well done. It has a perfect look.

vr Bob

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you everyone for the kind comments.

Peter- Yes both trucks are powered.

vrBob-Some cabs were open and some were not. There is quite a variety of different cabs shown in the Climax Book and other places like the Climax web site. Likely because a lot of them were built and/or modified by the loggers. I had so much fun building this one I've already decided to do another soemtime. It will have a more open cab, a round style water tank and one of the other boiler variations .

Chas-Yes the Climax Book is terribly expensive now that it is out of print. I though I had missed out but got lucky and found one left at the local train store and paid the retail price. Hopefully Oso will issue another printing someday.

John

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Rivets look like ala "Fletch" Method, same as I use, I use a pin vise with a blunt brad nail. I push the nail into the styrene with a wood block under, it impresses the rivet into the styrene, if you build up a crude but solid styrene or wood base structure, then use thin sheets of styrene impressed with the rivet patterns applied over that base, you can get a very nice finish.

I also have that book, it was worth every penny!

Dam, now I'm really tempted to do an enclosed cab Class A!

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Hi All,

I have a copy of the present issue of the Australian magazine 'Narrow Guage Downunder' sent by David Fletcher (Thanks David) this has in it an enclosed end cab climax loco, the tender tank is slightly narrower tjhan the GR PDF, and this allows a couple of doors to be fitted. They are about half as wide again as the doors in the front of loco cabs, and have a couple of glass(?) windows in the upper half.

Don't forget that the plan can be lengthened quite easily, it is quite a short loco as drawn; if the doors are added as above the water tank at the left hand end can be made longer to allow for the narrowing of it. The water tank end was originally deemed to be the front end originally. Although it is shown as a wood frame they can also be built with steel frames (angle side outwards) as well.

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Neat model, and nice work!

When were the Garden Railways plans published, I did not see them listed in the Sidestreet master list?

Any modeling, mockup, etc of the driveline and gears at the bottom?

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
I'm also making a class A climax, an early one with a T-boiler. I'm using copper pipe fittings from the hardware store. For my rivets, I went old school - drilling holes and epoxying escutcheon pins. Slow, but I like the raised effect:

I recommend http://www.climaxlocomotives.com/ which a great reference for modelling and shows many images of the trucks, cylinders, and several early class A's.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts