G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Beautiful job Fred! I have a question about this kit in the photos of the Amatti kit that I saw, it looks like the outside wrapper for the car sides is paper printed blue and with the lining. Is that so or is my interpretation wrong? Paper sides wouldn't last long outdoors. besides the other problems with the kit such as wheels, couplings, cast diaphragms to make an operating model out of it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thank you!

The outside walls are not paper; they are made of two layers of (thin) wood with in between nickel silver material for the window frames and the (plastic) window material. The outside are etched brass plates (0.4 mm) which are glued to the wood (not 1 piece but some 12 pieces for each wall, all to be glued correctly). Of course this had to be painted. The stripes are some kind of tape and the lettering is decals. I painted the walls gloss and then put the stripes and lettering on it and then sprayed a layer of satin paint for protection.

In the kit are full size printed paper outside walls; these are only to be used as a guide how to paint/stripe and letter the walls and not for using on the car.

Today I added the end-walls:

Regards
Fred

·
Registered
635 Posts
Thanks Fred for the info, what had led me astray was those sheets of printed sides in colour part of the instructions, good they did do a brass sheeting.
By the way I did an article on making paper bellows for Steam in the Garden magazine for my PRR cars then under construction. For European cars its a bit more tricky as you need much more folds about ten was right for European standards. but it can be done as I have done it. It will be useful if you plan to run it.
I would also do new rounded roof ends as per J&M in Samba wood.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
And now the roof is also finished. I did not use the roof ends from the kit but made some better proportioned (I hope) roof ends:

The inner ceilings still have to be done and some better springs for the bogies are ordered.

Regards
Fred

·
Registered
158 Posts
Great kit build Fred, there must be heaps of hours spent on this, but the time invested is well worth the effort. The 'new' roof ends are an improvement over the supplied ones ( Simon what do you think?)
Can you do a video of this coach running with some J&M CIWL coaches for comparison doing run-bys and also stationary close up comparisons. Do you think the coach will survive well for regular running in the garden where the odd derailment and brushing up against foliage can damage detail parts?
Fantastic job looks fabulous.
regards
Russell

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thank you Russel,

Of course a video of the running model (when completely finished; I am still waiting for new springs for the trucks/bogies and have to add ceiling detail to the interior) will be made.

The model however cannot be used at all as you would use J&M cars. It is much to fragile. I do not think it can be packed to travel to a GTG or meet. I will use it at least one time (I hope) to run a "Train Bleu" but it is clearly supposed to be a static model. I follow two other builders on youtube of these models and they both make a static model, one even glued the brake block to the wheels!

Regards
Fred

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hi Fred great job with the new roof ends, I figure with all the time you spent building it you might as well spend a few hours making correct ends for the Lx. Would you beleive it the real ones were made from aluminum castings! Ammatti should correct this and as they use castings they could make one for it. (also make real wheels, operating buffers and a bellows type or rubber cast diaphragms.) In which case it would be a going proposition. Best to all.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks Fred, the coach looks fantastic the only immediate difference I spot is "smaller" ( or is that more in scale?) vestibules at each end and the bogies. But it does look good to run it with the J&M coaches. A longer train of these with some J&M's would be fantastic.
I'm afraid if got one I would not only run out of patience spending all those hours building it but most likely damage it wanting to run it outside all the time, not to mention the inadequacy of the internal details on my J&M's would be highlighted in comparison!
Good job well done especially the new roof ends and thanks for sharing the build, well worth following.
Russell

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The Amati CIWL LX sleeping car now running in Le Train Bleu in the garden.

LX sleeping car build from a kit at the end of the train. The locomotive is an ASTER live steam SNCF 141R (with a wrong head board of Le Mistral); the further carriages are J&M Models LX sleeping car, Restaurant car, Train Bleu Salon-bar and Fourgon.

Regards
Fred

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks for the video Fred, great looking train and the coach does look fantastic in the train. It's a nice day here and you have inspired me to get out my CIWL J&M's and the the 141R for a run as they haven't been run for a while.
Russell

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks Fred, the coach looks fantastic the only immediate difference I spot is "smaller" ( or is that more in scale?) vestibules at each end and the bogies.
Russell
Hello Russel,
The vestibules of the Amati LX car are 24 mm; those of the J&M Models LX car are 27 mm. A scale drawing I have shows that the real vestibule is 950 mm (which is 29.6 mm in 1:32), so both are too small! The overall length of the car-body (22200 mm) is correctly scaled down at 693 mm
Regards
Fred

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
CIWL LX sleeping car kit for gauge 1: The building of the kit is finished

After fifteen months of construction, I have finished building the Amati CIWL sleeper kit. It already ran last weekend but now the final details such as the ceiling of the interior are also ready. See the photos and the video.

More photos can be seen on my website:
http://sncf231e.nl/amati-kit-for-a-ciwl-lx-sleeping-car/

With the end of the construction it is time for a conclusion:

It is a very nice kit. Amati makes quality; all parts fit well and look good. Most model builders with some patience can assemble this kit. The description and drawings are also in order. And building was a long-term but enjoyable activity.

Is there nothing to criticize: Yes there is something. If you are looking for a gauge 1 carriage to run on your track or a club layout then I would not recommend this kit. If you build it according to the description, it will not be able to run on a track. Furthermore, the built model, even if you make changes to make it run, is rather fragile and certainly not suitable to take to a club .

Regards

Fred

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wow, what a model ! I had completely missed this thread, thank you Fred for showing the build. This is really a fantastic model.

Regards Kjell

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Today I had a run in the garden with a CIWL "Train Bleu" with the Amati sleeping car at the end of the train. Le Train Bleu is pulled by the ASTER SNCF 232 U1 4 cylinder compound locomotive. The other cars are J&M. I do not know whether the U1 ever pulled Le Train Bleu but it looks good anyway, I think.

Regards
Fred

21 - 40 of 44 Posts