G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my first hobby level Christmas train a month ago for 250$ shipped. Just picked up two more this weekend for 100$ each.
First one was a Bachmann Wonderland Flyer set with tracks.
2nd was the Bachmann Northern Lights set still in box.
3rd was another Wonderland Flyer set still in box.
None of them were totally complete or perfect. Small pieces missing or broke.
My plan is to fully restore them and have them running outside around the pine trees before next Christmas.
My problem is I don't know anything about trains. I'm learning through this website and watching videos.
I'm also trying to look at pictures and diagrams from Bachmann's website.

I'll add some images and ask some questions about acquiring parts and what parts are called. Any info, advice would be super great.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Attachments

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see some parts I need on Bachmann's website that say they are out of stock so I'll wait on those. Some I don't see. As you can see in the image I'm missing the bottom half of the smoke stack. Not sure where to get it if not from Bachmann. Didn't see any on ebay, offerup, or that facebook place.

· Registered
636 Posts
Normally, when Bachmann says out of stock, you can translate that into common English as "we will never ever get it back in stock because we did a run of trains and a few extra parts and when they are gone they are gone, please don’t pester us with silly requests, we sell trains not parts" I know that seems harsh but those are the facts. We can’t even get parts for the high end Spectrum line that MSRP's for $1000-1,500 and streets for half that (sometimes). I am a Bachmann guy owning probably 10 of the high end ones so I am familiar with the issue. Buying cheap ones on eBay for parts is your best bet.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't been seeing a lot of detail parts on ebay. Guess I'll keep watching.
Yeah, I'm missing part of the smoke stack. Might just use an available smoke stack.
Do you know what the part I'm missing is called? The one I'm pointing to in the pic. There's three little holes there.

· Registered
40 Posts
Hey there— as mickey mentioned, Bachmann only carries parts until they switch to a new a new line of products. After that they put the old ones on sale to get rid of them. For replacement parts, e-bay is a good so Also, you can check the following site for 3D printed parts. It’s mostly Aristocraft but maybe they might have something that works:

Lastly, I found this site hugely helpful for learning how to set up an outdoor railroad:

Their articles are really great!

edit: corrected spelling on source.

· Registered
279 Posts
I probably have the air pump, and a smoke stack....you might have to paint them...
But I don't deal with people who don't sign their real name. Too bad; I would have sent them FREE...no charge, not even postage....
Fred Mills

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok. Just bought everything I need to restore/complete both trains, except for the steam whistle (ou of stock). I will have to do some painting but that's ok because now it will be a bit custom. Here's the list.
1 ea.Brake Wheel w/Post (Large 4-6-0) Plastic$3.57
1 ea.Number Plate #12 (Large 4-6-0)$1.19
1 ea.Battery Cover Door (Large 4-6-0)$2.38
1 ea.Cowcatcher - Red w/ white trim (Large Scale 4-6-0 Anniversary )$16.12
1 ea.Air Pump, Dark Yellow - (light pictured) (Large 4-6-0 Standard)$7.14
1 ea.Smoke Stack - Balloon, Grey (Large 4-6-0)$17.85

The cowcatcher is going to be parted. I need the two steps for one train and then that bar with the square angles that moves up and down to go on the other. Looks like it's used to secure cars/loco's together. I think it was Loco Bill Canelos told me what it was called but I can't remember. I'll have to go back through that thread.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts