G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this not long ago. 

Anyone planning to fly in China soon?

For anybody who is not familiar with a jet engine, a jet fan blade should be perfectly smooth.

A pilot for a Chinese carrier requested permission and landed at FRA (Frankfurt, Germany) for an unscheduled refueling stop. The reason became soon apparent to the ground crew: The Number 3 engine had been shut down previously because of excessive vibration, and because it didn't look too good. It had apparently been no problem for the tough guys back in China: as they took some sturdy straps and wrapped them around two of the fan blades and the structures behind, thus stopping any unwanted wind-milling (engine spinning by itself due to airflow passing thru the blades during flight) and associated uncomfortable vibration caused by the suboptimal fan.

Note that the straps are seat-belts....how resourceful!  After making the "repairs", off they went into the wild blue yonder with another revenue-making flight on only three engines! With the increased fuel consumption, they got a bit low on fuel, and just set it down at the closest airport (FRA) for a quick refill.

That's when the problems started: The Germans, who are kind of picky about this stuff, inspected the malfunctioning engine and immediately grounded the aircraft. (Besides the seat-belts, notice the appalling condition of the fan blades.) The airline operator had to send a chunk of money to get the first engine replaced (took about 10 days). The repair contractor decided to do some impromptu inspection work on the other engines, none of which looked all that great either. The result:  a total of 3 engines were eventually changed on this plane before it was permitted to fly again.

And you were worried about lead paint?

No wonder our trains come with such pitiful quality control.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
I sure as **** hope that was a CARGO plane, not a passenger plane! One of those fan blades is actually completely broken off! Wonder if the blades are even legit, maybe counterfieght. Now thats a frightening thought./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
I only have a second hand knowledge of these things and it's very old at that but things like this can and have happened more that you think. Not the seatbelt (cargo straps are what they actually are) thing since the engine could not operate with them in place but I have to believe more from a saftey precaution on the ground than anything else but as Ray stated since they were used to hold the fans in stable and to perform the same benefit as if feathering a Prop. It's hard to tell when the damage actually occured yet judging by the photo it's only the first row of intake fan blades that seems to be affected. 

Most of the jets today have a tremendous amount of draw/suction into the engine. The 737-200 when it first appeared several years ago there were instance with the new engine where ramp workers were sucked into the intake while the engine was at ramp idle. Until then there were almost no events like it although I seem to remember hearing about something involving a 747 but the engine was not at idle speed. Ice and debris of all sorts can be left on taxi ways and runways alike and be sucked into the engine before or without anyone realizing it. That is until a vibration appears or warning lights flash.  There's also the organic debris in the form of birds that are always a hazard especially in the airports located seaside. Even though this engone didn't "grenade" most engines are tested by having frozen turkeys shot into them from compressed air cannons while at heavy throttle to determine if the engine will grenade out of the protective housing. Sort of what like happened to the UAL DC-10 back in 1989 just before it crashed in Sioux City. Although that was caused by the fan disk having a microscopic crack that was later found during a metallurgy test.  Yet the outer fan-blades are the most susceptible to damage out of most of those in the engine. Then again what makes it into the inside is usually reduced to small bits due to the many rows of blades that make up the different stages of a jet engine. It happen often enough that I have a set of files that my father owned when he worked for the airlines and these were used to file chips out of the blade edges. You can imaging what a pebble the size of a dime can do to a precision fan blade spinning at 40,000+rpm's(just a guess but I vaguely remember this as one of the numbers) now picture a seagull, duck, goose or other coastal bird. Not to mention the occasional tool left in a landing gear housing or the dust and whatever else can become air-borne around the runway is no exception. From the looks of one of the pics, there seems to have been something rather large that was sucked into the cowling.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Now we have US plane makers outsourcing a multitude of parts outsourced to Mexico & China for reason of economics. For example, Boeing is having alot of the Dreamliner "outsourced" to China because of labor costs with a guarentee of orders for planes. Another small plane manufacturers are now "outsourcing" an entire sports plane to China for the reason of keeping the plane "affordable". The problem with that is we are forfeiting quality for the all mighty buck. Things like this makes you want to "duck" whenever a plane flies over.

·
Master of Disaster
867 Posts
I can see exactly what the Chineese are doing....they are mimicing what large corperations do here, cut back on matainence costs to keep profits up....at the expence of consumers AND employees!
Neccesity is the mother$*&$%@ of invention!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

Makes perfect sense....To ANY board of directors AND CEOs' running ANY large corperation for profit!

Ya know there ARE exceptable losses in war and profit!...but we already know this!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif

Next time you fly Chineese....don't forget your parachute!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

Freefalling in Bellevue
Bubba

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
...engines are tested by having frozen turkeys shot into them from compressed air cannons...

Frozen? I wonder why. Thawed might be more "realistic."

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Posted By vsmith on 01/15/2008 7:50 PM
I sure as **** hope that was a CARGO plane, not a passenger plane! One of those fan blades is actually completely broken off! Wonder if the blades are even legit, maybe counterfieght. Now thats a frightening thought./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

Why would they have seat belts on a cargo plane?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Posted By bobgrosh on 01/15/2008 9:51 PM
Posted By vsmith on 01/15/2008 7:50 PM

Why would they have seat belts on a cargo plane?

My guess is that the maintence folks would have them lying around in the service area where they could grab them.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I think a flying object stuck inside the turbine? or alot of birds stuck turbine?

Bryan

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
David F.
Don't feel too confident about QANTAS either.
They are now outsourcing some of their maintenance work to overseas.
Including China.
All in the name of being "competitive".

I'd stick to Singapore Airlines. Better looking female flight attendants too.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
This is a fake--check out the link to snopes.com that garrett posted. It's one of those urban myths.

The quality of some chinese stuff is amazing. I have a bass violin made in China, all hand carved, that's extremely well made and plays beautifully. You can buy a chinese made acoustic guitar for $200 bucks that rivals stuff costing 3 times as miuch. But, yes, they also make stuff that's cheap and shoddy. It's a big country

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
As soon as I looked at these pictures I thought something was suspicious.

There is no way a plane even in the worst country in the world would be allowed to fly in such a condition.

This is so unbelievable it has to be a fake picture.

John

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
According to the PILOT MAGAZINE its very common to get scheduled mainenance done in China for about 1/4th of the regular US Cost!!!
That means : instaed using a torque wrench a 50 pounder chinese hangs on an made in taiwan wrench!!!
Next time you get charged a 1000.-bucks for a crown- from your Dentist ask if its made locally or outsourced to a Chinese Lab for US$ 25.Plus shipping!!!!
Manfred Diel

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Posted By dawgnabbit on 01/15/2008 9:42 PM
...engines are tested by having frozen turkeys shot into them from compressed air cannons...

Frozen? I wonder why. Thawed might be more "realistic."

Frozen because it would simulate in a worst case scenario what would happen if a large chunk of ice were to build up on the aircraft or in the engine intake, around the coweling or on the spinner of the jet and be released while in flight at a speed of 500+ knots with the engine at High RPM's. If an engine were to grenade at 40,000ft the outcome would not be very favorable to the plane nor the people sitting parallel to the engine. The engine is designed with (or I think now a days most are) a "Damage Tolerant Casing" http://www.sti.nasa.gov/tto/Spinoff2006/T_1.html. This wasn't the case in the beginning but the jet engines of the past were not designed to produce the power they are today. Faster, more powerful engines means more problems are apt to happen. Good example would be High Performance race engines vs. the everyday "Rambler"./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif

I'm getting out of my "comfort zone" in knowledge so in order not to sound like an idjit  I probably won't contribute much more to the discussion./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/unsure.gif;)

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
In the question of China's practices......and not to sound like a supporter of shoddy stuff.............has anyone ever considered that what we get from China (or any where else for that fact) in the way of quality is exactly what Specs were directed to them by the CEO's and Company leaders in the first place? Obviously it costs more money to do something correctly and to the high level of standard we expect. Granted in the true scheme of things we aren't paying a commensurate price for the quality we receive in most cases but what those companies CEO's and leaders are paying for in production costs or bottom line is. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/pinch.gif

It's just their way of keeping their profit margin above 70% (hypothetically speaking of course/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif)   After all isn't money and having as much of it as possible no matter what the whole idea?/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Spule
I wondered about this myself, looking closer its true, those "seatbelts' are the straps holding the fan blade assembly to the cradle, I'll bet this was a damaged engine with a good if made up story.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts