G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For info on this I have found several references to Henry Greenly's book, "The Model Locomotive: Its Design and Construction..." Through a Google search the book is available digitally online, thanks to Google's project to make the books of major libraries available digitally online (under terms of copyright expired, or rights granted). It is in .pdf format, file 7.2mb; you can also download the .pdf file.

The first mention of "Chimney and Blast Pipe Proportions..." is on pg 60-61.

If the below link does not work for you do a Google search on "Henry
Greenly's Model Locomotives". The first listing will be a link to the
digital book.

This is the a link to the book's summary page:
http://books.google.com/books?id=h09DAAAAIAAJ

·
Registered
126 Posts
Posted By Chris Scott on 05/26/2008 10:25 AM
For info on this I have found several references to Henry Greenly's book, "The Model Locomotive: Its Design and Construction..." Through a Google search the book is available digitally online, thanks to Google's project to make the books of major libraries available digitally online (under terms of copyright expired, or rights granted). It is in .pdf format, file 7.2mb; you can also download the .pdf file.
The first mention of "Chimney and Blast Pipe Proportions..." is on pg 60-61.
If the below link does not work for you do a Google search on "Henry
Greenly's Model Locomotives". The first listing will be a link to the
digital book.
This is the a link to the book's summary page:
http://books.google.com/books?id=h09DAAAAIAAJ

Could you post a link? I did a search and could find lots of places selling the book but nothing in pdf.
Regards,
Gerald

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Chris,

Great find!

Gerald,

Copy and paste the link to the summary page that Chris provided. You'll find a button to download the .pdf version.

Steve

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
This is a big deal. One of the problems with the GS4 was that the blast pipe diameter was too wide. The pressure deficit or draft goes as the square of the velocity, not the volume

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I have not posted here in some time because of the pedantic attacks that I and some of my friends were subjected to. This behavior seems to have ceased, so I will try again.

For a really good treatise on stack dimensions, try this link.

Torry

·
Registered
82 Posts
Having read that book several times cover to cover, I have to say it is a great resource. That link is priceless. The only problem is when he uses materials such as asbestos packing which is no longer viable, or safe! Thanks for the link.

PS: no problem Chis, just basic HTML. Here is a link to the code if you want it, takes some practice at first but don't worry, it easy to do: HTML A Tag

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Steve,

i checked the summary page from top to bottom but could not find any info or button to the .PDF version of the book. Can you please give us some more info on how to find the pdf file? That would be very nice...
Thanks in adance elk:)

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bahnfan62:

Near top of summary page to left of title are two tabs: "Summary ..." and "Read..." Select the Read tab and it will bring up the .pdf file online real time. Download link is on the right panel.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I found the right buttons and it downloads.
I get a cover page and 292 blanks pages , is this what people call 'light reading?"

Harvey C.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Harvey,

Sorry to read that you're having difficulties. The file is 7.2 Mb, so will take some time to download. Do you have a high speed internet connection? I had no trouble when downloading it at my office where there is a high speed connection. May be it's timing out on you if you're trying to download it at home.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Unfortunately it seems like the downloadable version may only be available to US internet users. From Australia, we just get the summary, no tab to read.

Chris Lee

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi ,

that seems to be right. I tried to download the file here from Germany and it wouldn 't let me do that. Sadly the download menu is missing for this and all other H. Greenly books. May be someone knows why?
all the best elk

·
Registered
855 Posts
It dosen't work in Canada either.

·
Registered
855 Posts
That still dosen't seem to work.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
When trying to access this in the Uk, it says this-

Why can't I read the entire book?

Many of the books in Google Book Search come from authors and publishers who participate in our Partner Program. For these books, our partners decide how much of the book is browsable -- anywhere from a few sample pages to the whole book.
For books that enter Book Search through the Library Project, what you see depends on the book's copyright status. We respect copyright law and the tremendous creative effort authors put into their work. If the book is in the public domain and therefore out of copyright, you can page through the entire book and even download it and read it offline. But if the book is under copyright, and the publisher or author is not part of the Partner Program, we only show basic information about the book, similar to a card catalog, and, in some cases, a few snippets -- sentences of your search terms in context. The aim of Google Book Search is to help you discover books and learn where to buy or borrow them, not read them online from start to finish. It's like going to a bookstore and browsing - with a Google twist.

So that's why.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts