G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's something I discovered almost by accident!
I picked up a K-Line GP diesel dirt cheap, got it home, and found out ALL 4 axle gears were cracked, binding, and stripped.
I was going to write it off (I only paid $20.00 for it!), but then decided to take it apart.

I found all the plastic axle gear shafts were cracked. I decided to try to fix them.
After a couple of failed ideas, here's what I came up with...

I measured the diameter of the wheel axles, and then used a drill bit that was just slightly (.005) larger. I reamed out the plastic gear, while holding the crack closed with a pair of pliers.

Sorry for the lack of pictures, taking the picture was an afterthought....



You basically want the metal axle shafts to easily slide in with no friction (the tension is what cracks the gears), but not be so loose as to wobble in the gear.

Then I used a couple of drops of CA (epoxy would work too), and slid the axles back in - before you CA the second axle back in, make sure you have a piece of track handy to check gauge BEFORE the CA dries (slow CA gel would be a great idea here).

The loco works great now!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would also have to believe this could work on other brands with similar plastic gear problems!:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,395 Posts
Won't last under a load. The CA will let go, especially when things get greasy.

There are other ways to do this that do work. Do a search of the forum for cracked gears.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, that's at least better than shooting me down straight away!
Actually, I did end up reinforcing the bond with a good uberstrong epoxy.....

It pulls 6 cars, grinding around R1 curves, and not one problem with slipping or stripping.

I guess time will tell - I'm not being hasty!
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top