G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Train show yesterday. I picked up what appears to be a, "long caboose," or a drovers' caboose, lettered for Uintah No. 12. Underside says, "Charles Ro Manufacturing Co., Inc., Malden, Mass, U.S.A." I know Chas. Ro to be a large retail seller. Could this caboose originate back into the old Delton tooling? Is it, in fact, a Delton caboose? It appears to be just like the, "long D&RGW," caboose model Delton did.

What vintage might this be?

I paid $20; unit is slightly weathered.

Didn't seem like a bad deal for something to play with, but I am curious about it's history.

Thoughts appreciated.

Dennis
E. WA state

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
At the risk of answering my own questions here, I dug around and now find that this caboose seems a dead-ringer for the present AristoCraft, "long caboose," selling at Ridge Road for about $69. Did they inherit/buy previously existing dies/tooling?

Still does not answer my Chas. Ro question.

At the same train show, I also picked up two wood-side box cars, each with, "Dalton," molded to the underside. At Ridge Road, AristoCraft seems to offer a version of that also.

I wonder what, "exact," scale any of the above actually is??

Dennis

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Posted By dbt on 10/26/2008 1:50 PM
Train show yesterday. I picked up what appears to be a, "long caboose," or a drovers' caboose, lettered for Uintah No. 12. Underside says, "Charles Ro Manufacturing Co., Inc., Malden, Mass, U.S.A." I know Chas. Ro to be a large retail seller. Could this caboose originate back into the old Delton tooling? Is it, in fact, a Delton caboose? It appears to be just like the, "long D&RGW," caboose model Delton did.

What vintage might this be?

I paid $20; unit is slightly weathered.

Didn't seem like a bad deal for something to play with, but I am curious about it's history.

Thoughts appreciated.

Dennis
E. WA state

It's Charles Ro, not Delton. Charles Ro changed the name to the present day USA Trains. Your new caboose probably looks just like this caboose:

Note the step platforms and curved ladder tops, verses the Delton/Aristo version pictured below.

Your caboose is part of USA's "Woodside" caboose line. $20 is a very good deal as they normally go for around $80 in brand new factory sealed condition. The USA version is billed as 1:24 scale but really is closer to LGB 1:22.5.

What vintage? Maybe 1989-mid 1990s?

The true Delton long caboose was 1:24, and Aristo now manufactures it under their "Classic" line. Here's what their D&RGW version looks like:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, especially for taking time to include photos. All this really helps. If I'm reading you right, when I now buy USA Trains products, I'm really buying Chas. Ro products. (Which I've done) Interesting.

After viewing your two photos, I like my Ro version of the caboose better than the Aristo. Next, if I find out when Chas. Ro switched their manufactured products name to U.S.A. Trains, I could bracket the age of my new purchase.

Although I have no large scale railroad, I am slowly being swept toward the Spokane, WA club and I notice an ever-expanding roster of equipment growing quietly in my basement.

The products and manufactures I questioned in this thread are some I have never purchased before, or so I thought. After walking out of a show with some unfamiliar product, I first wonder if I bought junk or reasonable quality. These seem, at least, something to work with.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
3,995 Posts
If I remember correctly, the old Delton line was picked up by Aristo as in their classic line and other items went to HLW.

Charles Ro/USA trains did not take part in this as far as I know.

USA hook and loops are identical to LGB, Track is identical to Aristo's. Same screws and similiar joiners.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Dennis, you should have wandered over to our modules and asked. We would have gladly filled you with info. Mostly correct.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How right you are.

By the time the Ritzville show began I was already shot. Not in good form. But we made it.

I saw those cars under that fellow's table earlier in the day but did not pay much attention as price stickers were $45 each up through $60. I think he was packing up at the end of the day when I casually looked again and he said, "twenty bucks each for any including the caboose." THEN I got interested. I picked up what I thought would work for me, even for car-bashing, and tried not to delay his packing and departure. (He was there from Utah)

I hardly began to look at what I'd done until later after some sleep. One of those days. I got the Unitah caboose, (Ro) and two box cars, (Delton).

Still not sure how well I did on those cars, but they were the era I like, and I like odd, older things to play with.

Next time I hope I have time at these shows to look a little deeper. And, yes, I'll bug you guys a LOT more as time passes.

Cheers,
Dennis
Odessa/Ritzvllle, WA

1 - 7 of 7 Posts