G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What happens when your 11 year old granddaughter takes it upon herself to invite 4 younger friend to run train.

CHAOS

I has assembled a six loco 48 car train on the ALLY. Was in the house working on some couplers.

Heard the commotion outside.

And there they were. They had separated the big long train and were running three of them.
Ally seemed to have everything under control, so I grabbed my camera and set it on a bench to catch some action.
There were 5 operators. I have four throttle, two with dual control knobs and two singles.
Not expecting visitors, the batteries were dead. And of course, I didn't have enough cables to run four throttles. While the chaos grew, I vaguely notice that Ally took over the camera operation and was barking out commands like a movie director. I got two more throttle conneted and helper the little girl, Parker get started.

Gradually, they got more trains running, Eventually getting FIVE all going at one time.

While it stared with these inexpedience operators walking on the track, jumping over the trains, and straddling the rails while the trains ran between their legs...

I kept silent,and watched.

Sure enough, after a while the challenge became keeping the trains from colliding. They settled down into lawn chairs. Ally asked me to find my buckets of cattle, people, and some more automobiles. The visitors were soon positioning the cars, people and cattle for pickup and delivery on the trains.

Without ever saying a word to the visitors, I found the heat of the mid day a little much and returned to my workbench to continue changing couplers and left the work to Ally.

While at first it looked like total CHAOS, I was surprised, nothing was broken, Nothing trampled.

Ally even provided cokes for her guest and they had a grand afternoon.
While some of Allys video is a little jerky, she did grab one of my tripods and got the camera mounted. So a lot of the video was usable. Even some of the hand-held shots.

I cringed when I edited this for time. What was I thinking?

Here is her video.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Bob, you are a SAINT! I would need three fingers of booze not to stress out on that. My kid and one friend no problem but that many/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif

Once again your are a saint!

Thanks for sharing

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Great. I can't wait until my new grandson is old enough to comprehend the trains, let alone operate them.

By the way, isn't CHAOS what Maxwell Smart was always fighting?

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
I've got to say Bob, for whatever it's worth, you've got my respect. For having the faith in the children and letting them play unencumbered. Oh yeah, great job of editing too. :D

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
What a lovely afternoon!

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
I've been on both sides of this fence and can say with surety that you have a great deal of restraint Bob. I've also been a gracious host to children with my trains and a not so gracious one too. Depends on the situation really. Mostly it depends on how I FEEL that day or at that time.

A great day it sounds & looks like!

Chas

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Bob,
As said on Chat, this is a great video. Fun all around!. Ally did a super job too.
JimC.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Bob,

I'll check out the video later. I played host yesterday to a 3 year old. He had no more than said "Hello Uncle Mark" before he said "Can we go downstairs and run some trains?" We ran trains downstairs, then outside, then changed the trains outside, then again downstairs! I was exhausted!

Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts