G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to swap out a Kadee coupler on of my Accucraft BR Mk.1 coaches and replace it with a screw coupling. I have a problem though, in that I don't have anything or anywhere to connect the coupler to the coach. Do I need another coupler pocket from the one meant for the Kadee coupler?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm trying to swap out a Kadee coupler on of my Accucraft BR Mk.1 coaches and replace it with a screw coupling. I have a problem though, in that I don't have anything or anywhere to connect the coupler to the coach. Do I need another coupler pocket from the one meant for the Kadee coupler?
I’m honestly surprised they would put such an American coupling on something so British.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went the other way round - I converted a number of BR coaches to Kadee couplers. The UK hook/chain connectors may be more proto-typical but they are a pain to connect.
The problem is the coaches came with Kadees but my Standard 5 has screw couplings, I did look at the Standard 5 and decided to change one coupler on the first coach instead.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have one BR coach that has a hook/chain at one end and kadee at the other.
I'm guessing that this is the brake second corridor (BSK) coach? I'm thinking this has been done as brake coaches usually book-end a rake of coaches which would enable you to hook up to a loco with a screw coupling as well as have the advantage of the easier to use and closer coupling of the Kadee's. It's a bit of an issue though if you don't want or have a 2nd BSK to hook up to though so I had fashioned a not so attractive but functional hook from a picture hook as Accucraft don't appear to have them available for separate purchase but will now look into that Elstow Engineering one posted earlier so thanks for that.

·
Registered
472 Posts
To get a replacement screw type coupling I have used ones from Marklin that are for their 1:32 scale rollingstock. See if your Marklin dealer can get for you or buy from EvilBay ( go to Ebay.de to obtain from Germany) the Marklin part number is 56101 and I bought a pack of ten but can be had individually. To fit all you need is a small hole in the buffer beam (squared off with a needle file this stops the shaft rotating) and it fits with a clip and spring. I use these to replace many broken couplings on various brands of rolling stock.
Russell

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm guessing that this is the brake second corridor (BSK) coach? I'm thinking this has been done as brake coaches usually book-end a rake of coaches which would enable you to hook up to a loco with a screw coupling as well as have the advantage of the easier to use and closer coupling of the Kadee's. It's a bit of an issue though if you don't want or have a 2nd BSK to hook up to though so I had fashioned a not so attractive but functional hook from a picture hook as Accucraft don't appear to have them available for separate purchase but will now look into that Elstow Engineering one posted earlier so thanks for that.
I have a BSK but it had only been out of the box once or twice. I had it out Sunday and it does have the screw coupling on one end with the Kadee on the other end. I'm thinking about getting another BSK now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To get a replacement screw type coupling I have used ones from Marklin that are for their 1:32 scale rollingstock. See if your Marklin dealer can get for you or buy from EvilBay ( go to Ebay.de to obtain from Germany) the Marklin part number is 56101 and I bought a pack of ten but can be had individually. To fit all you need is a small hole in the buffer beam (squared off with a needle file this stops the shaft rotating) and it fits with a clip and spring. I use these to replace many broken couplings on various brands of rolling stock.
Russell
Next question, I bought another BSK believing that I had solved this issue, but today I tried to run a complete train and I could not couple my coaches with the knuckle couplers together, the diaphragms stick out too far to permit the couplers to do their thing. Has anybody else had this issue and if so what should I do? I feel like this was incredibly shortsighted on Accucraft's part.

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
Next question, I bought another BSK believing that I had solved this issue, but today I tried to run a complete train and I could not couple my coaches with the knuckle couplers together, the diaphragms stick out too far to permit the couplers to do their thing. Has anybody else had this issue and if so what should I do? I feel like this was incredibly shortsighted on Accucraft's part.
I don't have any of these coaches, but I know that I read that the plastic piece above the diaphragms stuck out too far and caused derailments and problems and people had to cut it back.
Is this the issue, or is it the actual diaphragms?
Can you move the Kadees out a little?
Incidentally, on the actual coaches, they were fitted with smaller sized than North American knuckle couplers that hinged up or down on the 'hook and chain' coupler so that they could always be coupled to whatever the next coach had on the end.
All the best,
David Leech, Canada

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought another BSK believing that I had solved this issue, but today I tried to run a complete train and I could not couple my coaches with the knuckle couplers together, the diaphragms stick out too far to permit the couplers to do their thing. Has anybody else had this issue and if so what should I do?
The Kadee couplers have two center screw holes which will allow you to move the coupler out a few millimetres then drill new holes into the coach body to secure them. I've done this at one end only of each coach in my rake to fix the issue of buffer lock on one of the tighter curves.

Machine Engineering Auto part Metal Office equipment

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Kadee couplers have two center screw holes which will allow you to move the coupler out a few millimetres then drill new holes into the coach body to secure them. I've done this at one end only of each coach in my rake to fix the issue of buffer lock on one of the tighter curves.

View attachment 64435
That looks good. I also asked in a Facebook group and was told, the couplers were supposed to be like this so the gap would look more prototypical. I was also suggested trying long shank kadees too, but I think I'd rather try this than buy new couplers first.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts