G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to repaint and detail an LGB mogul (no specific prototype).

I know the mogul is 1:22.5, has anyone tried to change her to make it represent more of a 1:20.3 model?

Any tips, words of advice?

·
Super Moderator
4,961 Posts
You really don't need to do too much to the LGB mogul to "upscale" it to 1:20.3, especially if you've got the older fluted-dome style. A slightly taller cab and stack may be in order, but really, that's about it. I took a ruler to my dad's mogul a few months ago just to see how it measured, and was pleasantly surprised. (Alas, I can't find the sheet of paper on which I wrote the measurements.) It will work very well for a c. 1870s mogul, something on the order of the D&RGW's 35 class moguls, examples of which served on many early narrow gauge lines, including the East Broad Top (their first two locos were built to the same drawings).

http://4largescale.com/fletch/d14a.htm

Good luck. One of these days, I'll find a cheap mogul that I can play with in that regard...

Later,

K

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have one of the originals with the fluted style domes.

I’m starting to think about the project, let’s see if I can work up the courage to give a perfectly good locomotive a bit of a chop!

The one I have is mint! Never been used, and the other I hope to purchase from a mate is a slightly newer Colorado and Sothern with sound, it has had some use.

Is it okay to chop an LGB model? Or are they slowly becoming collector’s items?

·
Super Moderator
4,961 Posts
Well, I've never met a model that couldn't benefit from a razor saw, so my answer will be unabashedly biased. (Can I use "unabashedly" in advocating kitbashing?) If the mogul is original and mint (and in the original box, etc.) it may be worth it to list on evilbay to see if you can sell it for enough to buy a newer one and perhaps a few extra pieces of rolling stock, but whether it's worth the trouble is up to you.

Personally, I don't worry about "collector value." Besides, by cutting one up, am I not making the rest even more valuable for the collectors? :)

Later,

K

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I’m a bit the same, I’m not huge on collectors value, but wont to teat the old girl with some respect. I know its not a human /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif

I don’t want to sell it. Maybe I should look at trying to get another used one on eBay to work on. I think the excellent performance of the Mogul in a 1:20.3 format would be a fantastic.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Several years ago, I converted my 2-6-0 by raising the cap by 5mm(1/4") and adding a larger fluted steam dome from an old Bachmann 4-6-0. Except for the driver spacing, it ended up really close to Nevada County Narrow Gauge #2 after it was rebuilt. I also added a few extra goodies and changed the headlight. Not an exact match to #2, but close enough.

Tom Rey

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tom, I think I will soon get out the good old measuring stick and make some drawings and mock ups and see if it worth doing.

I’m I fan of the LGB mogul, and I want it to have a future in my 1:20.3 world.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts