G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Jerry,

That last shot is beautiful!!! Thanks for posting it!

Mark

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Thanks, Jerry, for providing all the great pictures and videos of the Challenger over the last few weeks!

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Jerry
You are correct, life is too short and I am getting the "short" end of the stick having missed such action.
Great video and photos, appreciate the time in posting.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Ahh! Those UP whistles. No other sound like them in the world. You could always tell the difference between UP and CB&Q whistles. It was like the time I went running to get my dad and tell him a UP engine was coming west on the Q, which ran right through our backyard. He told me I was wrong and to listen again. About that time a double header whith two UP 2-8-0's rumbled by headed west. Dad's jaw dropped. Seems there was a flood on the Loop river up north that caused the UP to detour through town on the Q. Lots of activity that week.
Thanks again for posting and bringing back memories Jerry. Someday we will have to talk about those amazing armmored Duce 1/2s running between Chu Lai and DaNang in 67/68.
Noel

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Talked to one of the UP guys, the yellow tenders are just for water, the black tender is mostly water also, the angled part holds the fuel, so maybe those tanks were for fuel or lubricants. Great fun doing these shots. I think I got some of my best ones of the Challenger and I've shot it several times. It was GREAT lighting with it being early morning. Notice the weird heavyweight car with the cupola on top? Said 'lab car' on the side. The 'flatcar' looked like a cut down coach. Never seen that run with it or 844 before.

·
Premium Member
5,628 Posts
Thanks for the photos. Always nice to see a live steamer in operation. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
Sure was an odd mix of cars on that train. Not like their usual "managers" consist. What was the purpose for this run?

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Hi,

A bit more on #3985's trip is on You Tube at the following whilst in Minnestota on the following link http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WKCxnWuF6Lc

By then the Bulktainers' and other special coaches and been removed (wonder if 3985 was just moving the BulkTainers to a new location for filling ?) and it had gained some coaches instead.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts