G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a loop of track on my back porch that is chair rail height.  I have sections that lift in and out in order to use the doors into the yard and I have a 6' section that passes in front of my sliding glass doors.  I would like to be able to hinge them so I could just lift them up out of the way without having to completely remove them.  Right now they rest on large shelf brackets and I have electrical connectors to maintain continuity.  I use rail clamps but that gets to be a hassle and no one wants to stoop down as the track is about 34" off the floor...I have 100 feet of track .  I think I could put a hinge on one side of each of the lift out sections ( 3 ) but am not sure if it would work.....Any ideas would be greatly appreciated....

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Here's how I handle access in my closet. Even though it's indoors, it may give you ideas.

Ignore the "Back" buttons at the bottom of each page. These will take you to my web site. Just close the page using the "X" in the upper-right corner.

Bridge up. The access bridge with tunnel cover removed

Bridge down. The bridge is hinged on the right side and secured in place on the left side with a large gate bolt. The two hinges are purposely slightly misaligned so that there is no play in the structure.
Close up. This closeup of the left side shows the bridge rail clamps which help align the rails when raised. The black objects at the top are the magnetic proximity switch which indicates to the control panel whether or not the bridge is in its raised and locked position.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Bob,

I built a lift bridge on my old railroad and used 'knife' hinges at either side. As they are brass, they carried the electricity to the rails on the bridge.

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=100-400

At the other end I attached a 1/4" audio jack to the bridge, and mounted a socket to take it, between the supports holding that end of the bridge. I also wired a short section of track next to the bridge to that same jack, so that if the bridge was up, the track was dead. (Just make sure it is long enough to let your fastest train stop!)

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103445

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Hillman Rail Clamps have a bridge hinge and a bridge clamp. I use them on my two lift outs and they work fine. Caveat, I am battery/RC so conductivity is not a biggy.....but they did work with track power before I saw the light

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Wow saw the light with battery power.
. Bet it did not last long. Just a pun could not resist. As they say to each his own go for it. Later RJD

G

·
0 Posts
that is, what i am working on. a liftbridge.
for contacts on the opening side i am using kitchencabinet snappers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts