G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that asked I found the bell on the CF. (with the help of about 6 of the people from the museum) It is behind the front grill to the engineers side of the horn.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Very well done William. You may have an extra helping of pie tonight. :D
I figured that it had to be under there somewhere but.........
Many thanks for the extrordinary effort.

·
Registered
620 Posts
So who's going to be the first to have an operating horn (not whistle) on their locomotive per the prototype?

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Thanks for the pictures, Bill. I was going to stop by the Museum in October when I will be in the area and look for it. I guess that I still will, but won't have to ask anyone where it is now! :)

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Bruce:
Thanks for sending the sound sample of the GS4 for comparison.

CF's had a whistle and horn. Installing a horn might be difficult to get the very low freq. sound. Sound reminds me of a fog horn, which probably isn't too far off what it was really used for, high mountains, valleys, etc. I'll go for a wistle first and horn a distant 2nd. Fog isn't much of a problem for me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
HI

Next year at the national summer steamup my dad is going to bring his
4220 number plate an see if he will bring the horn need about 125p
to blow it.

Sincerely

Casey Wilmunder

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Cab Forward sound: chuff, horn, bell and whistle:

http://www.carrslocomotives.com/america-steam-sounds.php
Scroll down and select CF.

"Baldwin delivered the initial group of AC-12's, beginning with # 4275, to El Paso, Texas in the fall of 1943. The balance was received in March of 1944. Interestingly, the 4294 was the last new steam locomotive ever to be purchased by Southern Pacific.

Baldwin utilized the same newer semi-streamlined cab shape that was practically identical to some of the earlier cab forward classes. Many consider these to be the most attractive of all the AC series. The AC-12's were equipped with both the conventional steam whistle as well as a single note "fog" horn."

Each horn maker had their own distinct sound. If we can learn the cab forward's horn's make we might be able to get a sample of the makers sound. One source (or at least it's a place to start): Five Chime Consultants: Railroad Airhorn Guide; http://atsf.railfan.net/airhorns/index.html

My question is, how would you make a horn in small scale live steam? Larry Bangham scaled a locomotive whistle with his Resonator Whistle design. The same problem of scaling is there for a horn. Is it possible to make a Resonator Horn?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts