G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not wanting to spend a lot of money on a wraped lumber load for my center beam flat car, I decided to make my own. I wanted a custom logo for my railroad on the wrap since purchasing a lumber mill in Washington State. Printed out a sheet with " B&L LUMBER " on it but that looked to plain.

So I drew some trees on it and scaned it to the paint shop. Then sprayed the trees green and the trunks brown and reprinted the sheets. Looks better with a little color.

I used a Elmers school glue stick to adhere the wrap to the 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" X 7 1/4" wood block. Folding the ends like a wraped gift. Easy to make and works for me.

I still need to make some wood spacer blocks of wood to place below the wrapped loads and inbetween them. I ran out of Elmers glue stick to finish the other3 loads.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That looks so good I decided to create a page to print some for my wood loads with the name of my lumber company.....I just wonder if there is some thin plastic/vinyl type material that will go thru an ink jet printer??

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
They make a vinyl ink jet paper. I got some awhile back, works great. Print on it, let it dry for a bit, then cut it out and peel off the backing and stick it on. Papilio is the company. They have decal paper also, the vinyl comes in matte and glossy. My cheapey HP printer did not like it, but my wife's Canon had no problem.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to you all for the compliments. I changed the printed wraper slightly and also made some smaller loads.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Those looked so good I went and checked my loads and the plastic wrap that came on them had dried out and cracked and broke so I followed your lead and made some for my railroad....Great Job.....

·
Vendor
3,317 Posts
Very nice, Leon. The different sized loads look much better. Well done....

If you'd like, you could include the trees from a graphics program with the lettering and print them on an ink jet printer to size, attach them to the wood and then carefully spray a few coats with Krylon Crystal Clear Satin. It will last for quite some time.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi John
The center beam flat is a USA TRAINS car. Thank you!
Hi Stan,
Your right that the different size loads look better. I actually like the smaller loads best. I've made a few of each. Thanks !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts