G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like with all the rain and flooding The Cedar Rapids and Iowa City Railway Co (CRANDIC)lost their bridge spanning the Cedar River. Three of the bridges four steel spans were swept into the river along with 15 CRANDIC hopper cars loaded with rock on the span in hopes of weighing the bridge deck down and keeping it in place. The 793 ft. bridge, built in 1903, was used daily to connect CRANDIC with other railroads and local industries. The bridge handled approximately 20,000 carloads per year. No injuries were associated with the collapse. Damage will be assessed as the water recedes, and plans to rebuild are under evaluation. CRANDIC will work with other rail carriers to meet customer needs in the days and weeks ahead. If you find it please return it to them. They can't operate without it. Seriously, check it out at: http://www.gazetteonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080612/NEWS/88202635/1001/NEWS

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Yes, it is a major loss... even from just an historical standpoint. But it is nothing compared to the rest of the destruction in the downtown area and the large neighborhoods both north, west and south of the downtown area and several smaller neighborhoods on the northeast and southeast.

There are still 3 RR bridges over the Red Cedar River near here.

The northmost is for the Iowa Northern and the line that leads to Waterloo and Cedar Falls.

There is one just north of the I-380 bridge and it is in danger right now because a dozen house boats broke loose upriver and are now against it. As the water goes down it is feared they may get part way under the brigde and then lift the bridge off the piers and dump it. It also has a balast train on it right not trying to weight it down. IF it goes, it may damage the I-380 bridge as that bridge is also known as the 5 in 1 dam. (2 city streets, a state highway, the interstate and a dam on the river). If I-380 is closed there is no way across the river at present for 30 to 50 miles in either direction! A "large" power boat of some sort is being trucked in by the National Guard to pull the houseboats back upstream to try to save that bridge.

The next bridge south (between the 8th and 12th st. bridges) is the one that has collapsed. It will be missed and I think it MUST be replaced. Especially to service the Penford plant right there.

The next bridge south was hardly a bridge and has been a bridge to nowhere for many years. It is the former Burlington RR bridge. The south end of trackage was removed many years ago and the roadbed is now under "Mount Trashmore"/soon to be a ski resort (maybe). It was only used by CRANDIC for car storage when they had a car repair shop on the north side. It has collapsed, but nobody cares since it was useless anyway.

The last bridge (double track) is the Union Pacific mainline across Iowa (former Chicago & NorthWestern, C&NW line) It has a balast train on it still, but U.P. is working on the trackage that parallels the river on the east side. They are also working on track at Beverly Yards west of town, it was inundated by Prairie Creek (which empties into the Cedar just north of their bridge there. The mainline parallels and passes over the creek at a couple of places between the Cedar and west of Beverly Yards.

This is just one great big slow motion disaster. Thousands of homes flooded up to the second floor. Much structural damage to homes and businesses such that most will not be habitable-- even if they could be cleaned of the stench and mold and mildew and dead fish.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
I just got back from a short tour of the downtown area. I took a bunch of photos, but, not only are they lousy photos through the windshield of my car, but they show nothing of what my eyes and heart saw. Block after block of muddy houses with muddy mounds of muddy personal possessions out front. BLETCH!

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Here, anybody want to model this bridge?

I took photos from the top of each of the newel posts of the railing of the 8th ave street bridge (37 total across the bridge) in wide angle, then set the camera to 4X zoom and took the set of photos again coming back across the bridge.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Many thanks SV for the vid. What a catastrophe it all is. The last tie I saw pics of that bridge it was mostly covered by water so at least the river is now going down in its level.
I understand a similar bridge, I think in MO has also failed recently. This one took four tank cars, filled with water, and the loco that was trying to move them off the bridge into the river. I believe the line and bridge served a meat factory or something like that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts