G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon,
My Wife wants a Cattle car for her birthday. Any recommendations? It could be 1:29 or 1:24.
Thank you,
Phillip

·
Super Modulator
20,571 Posts
The Aristo one looks fine, is 1:29 and is inexpensive.

The new AML one is 1:29 and looks great but has older archbar trucks (which I think look neat, but might be too old for you).

There is a stock car thread, search on "stock car"...

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
The Aristo one is quite nice. I also have the Bachmann. The Bachmann is smaller, but those things varied a lot in size, so it fits right in.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Posted By 3lphill on 05/11/2009 4:55 PM

My Wife wants a Cattle car for her birthday.

Now there's something you don't see everyday!

·
Premium Member
3,894 Posts
LGB mad some nice ones, but are getting rare.
These stock cars are great for remote control as they have open sides for getting out the heat from electronics/batteries.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
I put the ITT sound card in my Aristo car so it moos.

I put my peeve in the Bachmann

Do you have a pet peeve? I'd suggest you get rid of it!

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good Morning,

Thank you all for the replies. Does anyone have any opinions on the Hartland version? At 1:24 it might fit her cows better.

Just imagine what you all would have said if I had posted "I want to get my wife a cattle car for her birthday"

Phillip 

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
We'd have pointed you to the youtube video about being sent to the dog house ;)" border="0" />

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wTg6YB2PRA[/url]

You have been warned! 

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
I have used Bachman stock cars for some time. They have wood roofs and sides, but with some weathering, can look quite acceptable even behind more modern locos. The BMs aren't too expensive. I also put a self contained sound system in one of mine, so it moos, too. I run the stock cars with a couple of MTH Armour and Swift Reefers to make my "Where's the Beef," train.

JimC.

·
Registered
514 Posts
We have often seen pics and vids of those who run long coal trains and boxcar consists.

This poses the question who runs long stock car trains?

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Phillip,

This is a photo of a 1:22.5 Bachmann stockcar (not the new 1:20 scale). Except for repainting, relettering and weathering it is unaltered (I did lower the end roof platforms a bit). These cars are inexpensive and quite durable enough to survive being left outdoors much of the time.

Alan,
Stock trains are on the agenda for the POC RR as soon as it's completed a bit more. They will be seasonal with cattle and sheep being transported to Spring pasture and brought out in the Fall. Other traffic the rest of the year will be individual cars. Of course here a long train is about 10 cars....

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
I think there’s a 1:1 scale one in Arcata CA.
Since Santa Fe abandoned it on the right-of-way, you'd probably be able to just take it away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts