G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building a couple of cattle cars based on the GR plan #14. What I don't know is, how were the roofs of these cars done? Did they tar-paper them, shingles, or just leave as painted wood?

The plans don't specify.

Thanks!

Bill

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Wild Bill -

I found this in my collection of "odd shots" that may someday prove useful. Thanks to a wreck, this is the best view of a vintage stock car roof you'll probably ever see.

However, I think the hatches are a rather unusual configuration. At first I thought they were there to improve ventilation, but for the life of me, I don't see why you would need increased ventilation in an open-sided stock car.

Then I thought they might have facilitated feeding the critters below.

An escape hatch in case of rollover? (Obviously it does happen once in a while.)

Transporting giraffes?

Go figure. Anyone else ever see anything like this? (If anyone has an early AT&SF car roster, maybe #56161 or #58181 is listed.)

Anyway, you'll notice the rest of the roof is made of just individual boards - probably tongue 'n' groove.

Hope this helps. Good luck and have fun with your project.

G

·
0 Posts
i think these hatches are for raising fallen cows.
even today, on the cattletrucks they use to lift fallen cattle with ropes (if electric lashes don't work)
an animal that lies down, gets trampled on so often, that it might die or be hurt seriously in a couple of hours.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
The OR&L built their own cattle (stock) cars. The first three in 1899 and continuing on to the mid 20's. Sometime around the early to mid 40's they knocked a few boards out of some outside braced boxcars to make additional stock cars. Not sure about the 1899 roofs but the ones from the 20's on had corregated steel roofs.

Jeff Livingston
Kaneohe, Hawaii

1 - 6 of 6 Posts