G Scale Model Train Forum banner

cattle call

10K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  llynrice 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
I've spent the past month building a set of stockyards for my railroad. They're mostly done now and I'm ready to start shipping beef! Trouble is, I haven't been able to find suitable 1:29 scale Hereford cattle. I have some of the cows from Schleich but they're rather large. Does anyone know of a good source for cows? I'm happy to repaint them if necessary to represent the Hereford cattle so prevalent here in western Colorado.

Thanks,
Matt

#8 ·
Posted By Paul Burch on 04/14/2008 6:24 AM

Not to change the subject, but that's truly amazing modelling! At first glance, I'd have thought I was looking at the real thing, which I rarely think when looking at models of any scale, and particularly large scale. I'm impressed!

#14 ·
Attwoods Farm Supply often has sets of farm toys that include different breeds of cows. They are very reasonably priced. The best selection comes near Christmas season.

JimC.

#18 ·
Matt,
I tend to go with 1/32 for vehicles and buildings for my 1/29 layout. There are some 1/30 and 1/27 vehicles that are ok too. I think going a little smaller with buildings and details gives a much better visual perspective to the layout,especially in photographs. Figures are a different matter. 1/32 figures are too small. There is very little selection of figures that work well with 1/29. If I buy a structure that is 1/24 I will usually take a little off the bottom and reframe the doors. I just wish some outfit would start producing some 1/29 modular building kits. Just flat wall pieces that could be assembled into whatever is desired. I would love something like that for warehouse trackside structures. Just generic buildings. Most all buildings seem to be made in 1/24,I guess to try and catch both ends of the market. Does anyone actually model in 1/24 anymore? Guess all this has drifted a long way froms Matt's initial question about cattle.

#24 ·
Robert,
It's going outside. I built it on concrete board (the stuff used behind bathroom tile) and all of the wood has been treated. How it'll survive - well, we shall see. To me one of the great challenges of outdoor railroading is to see what'll survive the elements.
Cheers,
Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.