G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If it is even hinted at DO IT. It has brought so much into focus and made clearer. Of interest to us here is -- it has increased my running time from just bright day light hours. First was taken just after sunset last night, the second just before sunrise.And Detail work is so much easier

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
I found after my surgery that everything is much brighter as the yellow in the cateract filters a lot of light. Biggest issue to date is the bright blue lights at night on the police cars can blind me, so be extra careful at night when you see blue lights. I went from Trifocals to no glasses and 20/20 vision and colors are more vibrant.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dan, thank you for alerting me to blue lights. Also had to reset the TV bright and contrast controls. Yes, my lens prescription will also change.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have a cataract that is different from most. It is in one eye. Some years ago, hit my head on a steel table and had a detached retina. Had the surgery where a bubble was put in my eye and had to go around for 10 days with my head down all the time. It worked, and at first had clear vision. but then the cataract developed. The needle poke causes the retina to harden I think. It caused things like when I drove down the road to make the lines look like they wiggled. That has gone away. I never got the surgery and have taken glutathione, which supposedly helps cataracts in some people (and makes hair darker for some) and over time it has gotten better, but still not good (and darker hair). My shootin eye is fine. Anyway, like at Christmas, I can close my good eye and look with the bad eye and have my own special light show as the needle poke cataract makes it look like dazzles.

Doug

·
Junior Senior Member
600 Posts
When I had my cataract surgery, 2013, I elected to have the new multi-focus lenses put in. Still feel I was overcharged for them, but that is a different story. I had worn glasses since i was 8 and the difference was amazing. I could see everything clearly from tiny print to far away. The glare at night went away also.

If I squint i can see the moire patterns from the new lenses. Surgery is done on an outpatient appointment and takes about 15 minutes plus recovery time.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doug, sounds like you had and are still having a bad time with it, sorry to hear it. I feel vision is one of our most important senses.
Rich, ground lenses wouldn't help me as I need a prism as my eyes don't see on the same plane. Individually each eye is now 20/20, but they don't work together. Yes the whole procedure was not more than 15 minutes, the paper work took longer. I was in 'twilight', aware of conversations and movement going on all around me. No pain or even discomfort at all. First eye was crystal clear instantly, the other one took 36 hours for the cloud to lift. No Regrets.

·
Junior Senior Member
600 Posts
Nick,
The lenses I got were a flexible plastic. I still remember the doctor inserting them folded and then they opened up. It is scary, but totally painless and well worth the replacement. If anybody is on the fence, go for it.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Rich, I don't think you are talking about contact lenses, the cataract replacement that are permanently installed? If so I have been told they are very expensive.

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
I don't think you are talking about contact lenses, the cataract replacement that are permanently installed?
Rich is talking about IOLs ("Inter Ocular Lenses") which is the standard (modern) replacement for cataracts. However, they are permanently installed, unlike contact lenses.

My eye doc has a new laser which enables her to make better incisions to remove the old lens. (Spin-off from the lasik business, I bet.) She claimed 10% better outcomes, so I let her do it. But its overkill for an old guy.

I was offered fancy lenses - like those that Rich got, but I turned them down. (KISS rule for me.)
as I need a prism as my eyes don't see on the same plane
Me too. I had a viterectomy (surgery inside the eye) a few years ago to remove macular pucker (cell layer growth on the macular nerve,) but the result was a view that is slightly offset from level.
Fortunately the other eye was always 20/20 and dominant, so as soon as I got the IOL inserted I was back to perfect vision, although my depth perception is suspect. I keep banging cups on the side of the sink . .

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pete, don't know what causes my eyes to see on different planes. if I open only one eye can see the difference in the level. Item in the left looks lower than the one on the right, don't know which if either of them is right on. I am thrilled with the improvement I am seeing with just the cataracts removed, not ready to have them fool around any more, not at this age.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts