G Scale Model Train Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
This is a follow-up to my posting earlier today which was cut short because of the 10 photo limit
The boiler bands are installed and the boiler is painted Hunter Green
The hand rail and stanchions are larger than what I usually do. The rails are now 2 mm stainless and the stanchions are now 1/2 " from the boiler to the rail center. This required making a new stanchion forming tool.
Cylinder Gas Auto part Engineering Machine

The sand dome and and pipes are attached with JB Weld
The dynamo is setup to emit steam out the pipe which will be controlled by a valve in the cab
The windows and doors will be installed after the cab decals are installed and clear coated
Green Motor vehicle Gas Machine Machine tool

The model is set in front of the drawing. The drawing looks smaller because of being further from the camera but you can see the accuracy of the build. One note, the drawing is of the post accident loco with thr headlight on the smokebox where as the headlight was originally mounted on the front deck .
Train Wheel Steam engine Rolling stock Vehicle

Train Cabinetry Vehicle Wheel Rolling stock

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Thanks
One thing I didn't point out is that the holes in the female part are in pairs as the first hole is for embossing the rivet and the second receives the embossed rivet thus setting the spacing.

·
Registered
670 Posts
What a wonderful tutorial for us all Bill, I have been so involved into the construction of my new pike in Ardèche, that I hadn't followed this fantastic: "How to do it " tutorial which is better then what the model engeneer magazine ever did. making and describing every step as you go along, takes a lot of time and we should all thank you for this extra effort. Now I just can't wait to get my track finnished so that I can get back to the workshop to work on rolling stock again. I still have a long way to go though...
best, Simon

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I added a few detail parts this week which don't make a drastic change but take a while to do.
The whistle has a different shape and a long valve lever I duplicate the shape on the lathe and flatten out a piece of 1/16" brass rod at the end to drill a rope hole through.
Gas Metal Auto part Indoor games and sports Titanium

I have had these injectors for a while but didn't have the cab space to use them. I think they are from an Accucraft electric engine.
Circuit component Gas Electronic instrument Audio equipment Machine

The power reverser is partially hidden by the radiating pipes but you can see the top valve body and the supply pipe and shifting rod.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Bumper

The tool boxes in front of the cab also act as steps from the cab door to the running board
Toy Gas Truck Circuit component Machine

I make some clack valves on the lathe and solder on some small knobs I had laying around.
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Wood Hood Gas

And here it is with the added detail parts
Motor vehicle Wheel Engineering Gas Machine

Train Wheel Vehicle Chair Rolling stock

41 - 47 of 47 Posts