G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm looking for any manufacturer who makes a 1:20.3 model of a Case steam tractor. I want one for a flat car load for my narrow gauge road. I know Ozark makes some nice stationary engines on skids for loads. Any help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Either Ertl or Scale Models made a kind of funky part metal/ part plastic one that was about 1:24 (NOT the "millenium" one, it's huge, even if you modified it into a 110HP it still wouldn't fit on a flatcar very well...) . George Kester in Illinois makes a nice cast aluminum toy one in 1:25. Either might be usable to represent a 9HP or so in 1:20 with some modifications.

This is what the Kester piece looks like. It is 8.5" long.

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mik. Do you have a link to George Kester's site?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
George doesn't have a website. He keeps saying he is going to have one made, then doesn't get it done. I'm not sure he'd be happy with the spam calls if I posted his number - since it rings at his house, but his business mailing address shouldn't hurt... George Kester/Kester's Old Time Collectibles -- PO Box 571 Grant Park, Il 60940

Short list of what he has that's usable in large scale: Case - traction engine, portable engine, skid engine, steam roller, water wagon, threshing machine Baker - traction engine, steam roller Huber - traction engine, steam roller Minneapolis - traction engine Russell - traction engine, portable engine, skid engine Avery - Traction engine, threshing machine, traction plow McCormick-Deering box wagon Silver King tractor Rumely Lightweight Oil Pull

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Remembered I had a couple pix that might help you....

Kester's Case threshing set on the edge of my layout before my last move... It might help give you a sense of size. The piece on the Lehmann Toytrain flat is one of George's Fricks that I repainted

This one I scarfed off ebay a few years ago, because it shows how the factory loaded them for shipment (blocking, etc). I thought I had one of a train leaving the factory with about 20 cars loaded just like this as well, but I can't find it at the moment.

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mik,

The tractor, almost in the center near the edge of your table, might just work for size. The AMS 1:20 flats are BIG. My great-grandfather sold Case tractors in Wisconsin in the early 1890's. THX for the photos as a comparison. It really helps as does the photo of the way they were blocked for shipment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts