G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever posted a build log for the 2003 Master Class Carter Brothers Coach and Combine cars? I recently purchased the coach and combine kits from Harald Brosch and am slowly working on the coach. A build log would be a great aid while working on these wood kits.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Last year, I acquired the Bronson-Tate kits for the 1880 coach and combine. Are we talking about the same thing here?

Larry

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Last year, I acquired the Bronson-Tate kits for the 1880 coach and combine. Are we talking about the same thing here?

Larry
The Brosch kits I have are laser cut from plywood. The Brosch kits are cut using the same PDFs as the Bronson-Tate kits developed for the 2003 Master Class. I have the instructions, thanks to DocWatson (and Dennis). I am finding that the plywood sheets (1 mm and 2 mm) vary in thickness which has caused some adjustments during assembly of the coach. I am looking for any build logs or hints that would help during the assembly of the plywood version of the kits.

·
Premium Member
6,026 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,026 Posts
Here's a couple of tips for the wooden kits (thought of while lying awake last night at 3am.)

1. If you are doing the board-and-batten version, you can't easily finish the coach sides after applying the battens. Make sure the sides are well sanded smooth, and maybe seal them before applying battens.

2. You need 1/4 round at 1/4" radius (?) for the corners, which isn't easy to find. I made my own fron a 1/2" round dowel screwed to a wooden stick (to hold it still and stop it rotating.) I fed half the dowel through my mini table saw and then turned it 1/4 turn and cut again. I got enough 1/4 round to make the coach end corners.

I looked through the rest of my photos but there was nothing I noticed outside the instructions for the styrene versions. Lots of little clamps are useful to hold things while the glue sets, especially for the roof curves.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a couple of tips for the wooden kits (thought of while lying awake last night at 3am.)

1. If you are doing the board-and-batten version, you can't easily finish the coach sides after applying the battens. Make sure the sides are well sanded smooth, and maybe seal them before applying battens.

2. You need 1/4 round at 1/4" radius (?) for the corners, which isn't easy to find. I made my own fron a 1/2" round dowel screwed to a wooden stick (to hold it still and stop it rotating.) I fed half the dowel through my mini table saw and then turned it 1/4 turn and cut again. I got enough 1/4 round to make the coach end corners.

I looked through the rest of my photos but there was nothing I noticed outside the instructions for the styrene versions. Lots of little clamps are useful to hold things while the glue sets, especially for the roof curves.
Using a dowel for the corners is a great hint. Thanks. I have applied sanding sealer to everything. One of the challenges I am finding is finding ways to clamp the parts while waiting for the wood glue to dry.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Search out my build thread. I posted them so many years ago though. Mine were all from Doug and never ran into any issues. Doug was always tight on wood tolerances and only used in spec ply and milled his own solid wood.

Still have 3 more to build. O boy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts