G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a break from my usual NG activities I am looking at something completely different. Thus far it is looking good. In order to progress this project I would like to know what you consider a "heavy" car. My latest venture for an all metal car pans out at 4.5 lbs.(including the metal USA intermodal trucks)

Clearly if this is over and above, by a considerable margin, something like the Aristo heavyweights than this may be dead in the water.

So, what are your heaviest cars (weight each) and how many can you tow along.)includes freight stuff like hoppers and gons.

Marty, I'll be in touch.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Hi Rod,
Don't know if this is of help but I run all my cars on the heavy side.
At least I think they are. 3.5 to 4 pounds is about standard of course
some run a little lighter. I feel that heavy cars track better and
react to the motive power in a more prototypical way, especially using
the KD couplers with internal draft springs.

Having said that, please understand I run narrow gauge short line. Usually running
no more than 3-5 cars on mostly level track. I do this with Bachmann locomotives;
Shay, Climax, Connie, Annie, and porters. Also I do not run for hours and hours
without resting the locomotive.

The car project I just finished, flat car with converted to low side gondola,
loaded with ore weighs in at 5.25 pounds and tracks just beautifully.

For what it's worth.
Rick

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
I never add weight just so I can pull longer trains.
avg. car is 3 to 4 pds. gunderson/contains 6.5 pds, USAT passenger cars 10 pds just keep the empty long lighter cars near the rear as they did in the older days.
locos are 20 pds and up(3 axles)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thanks for that, Marty how long a rake of about 4 -5 lbs cars can you pull with one diesel, and which one would be useful. I'll mail you in a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
The heaviest, weight wise, car I've seen are the new AMS passenger cars.

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
The AMS J&S coaches are indeed heavy. They top-out at 6 pounds each. The Accu C19 is over 17 pounds./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could I just say again..

"In order to progress this project I would like to know what you consider a "heavy" car. My latest venture for an all metal car pans out at 4.5 lbs.(including the metal USA intermodal trucks) "

So we are not in the NG arena here, its 1.29

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Rod
you know I just have not tested that. I know the mallet pulled 40 hoppers easy and so did one dash-9. rake???you mean consist?? Your not talking about women???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts