G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -

I have problems with my web space again.

I have three directories that I want to delete.
If I go in using regular http and click on the delete button associated with each direcory, nothing happens.

I then tried going in via FTP, but I get a message "Connection Refused" even though access via FTP used to work just fine. Has something with FTP changed when this web site was revamped?

Thanks Knut

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Knut

Each folder/directory that you want to delete has to be empty (i.e. of all files and directories) prior to attempting to delete it, when using the 1st Class interface. This means that if you have multiple levels of folders/directories you've got to start at the lowest level and work your way back out.

As for the FTP interface I haven't encountered any problems, as a matter of fact I just set up a new FTP client plug-in for an aux browser and it connected no problem.

I know when the switch from the old forum software to the new some encountered problems. In some cases they had to revert to using an old password, in other cases the had to watch the case of the user ID, but in you case I cant see you having a problem with the latter of these two problems.

Edit Update: Just remembered, Shad had mentioned that the old "gold" sub-domain was going away and only the "1stclass" one would remain valid, so you may want to check your FTP set-up and see.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve - Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm going to try to get FTP going.

For one, I have a lot of little files in each directory which I want to delete, so this is probably faster doing via FTP...do I still need to delete each file in the directory before I can delete the directory?

And second, the pdf file I want to upload is 10 MB and the html upload times out about a meg before it's done.

Is the FTP access still [email protected]?

Thanks, Knut

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never mind - I got it.

The FTP URL is not what I posted.

I found another pull down menu in my FTP client that still had the complete address init and adding the only password I could think of did the trick.

Also nice that with FTP one can delete the whole directory without having to delete the individual content first.

Steve - do you know if there is still a time out when using the FTP connection?
ISPs here are throttling traffic something fierce right now, so my upload speed is a lot slower than it should be - the 19MB file made it, I was just wondering.

Thanks, Knut

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Posted By krs on 04/08/2008 4:30 PM
«snip...» ...do I still need to delete each file in the directory before I can delete the directory? «snip...»
The quick answer is NO, but that is based on my FTP client, so I know that the MLS FTP interface supports it, the question then does your FTP client.

«snip...»And second, the pdf file I want to upload is 10 MB and the html upload times out about a meg before it's done. «snip...»
As far as I know the max file size that the 1st Class interface will up load sucessfully is around 1MB. Although the timeout error seems to be reported later than that.

«snip...»Is the FTP access still [email protected]? «snip...»
Like I said above, Shad mentioned that the "gold" sub-domain was going away, since I've always used the "1stclass" sub-domain I don't really know if Shad has gotten around to making the change.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Knut

As far as I know there is no FTP timeout if you've got your FTP client configured for keeping the connection alive during periods of inactivity.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK - looks as if there is no time out at all when using http even though it's reported as such - it's actually a size limitation.
I wonder if Shad can change the error message to reflect what really happening rather than what is reported now which lead the user up the garden path.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
As far as I know, it is a timeout, however because of the time lag between when it's declared on the server and when it's reported on the client it just seems like a file size limit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts