G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
I don't know why, but that dark green was a poplular cab interior color right up thru the early diesels. I don't know how long its been known (or suspected) but they say that green is a soothing color and fairly temperature neutral. Reds, oranges, and yellows supposedly make one feel warm, blues etc feel cool. Maybe steam engines went that way due to the hot in the summer, cold in the winter nature of the cab? All I know is that its better than the puke mint green color diesel cab interiors got in the 70s.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
It's what was on sale at  Sears at the  time.:D

I did not know that  cab interior was painted green.   Or painted for that matter.    See I learned something  to day :D

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Easier to find the blood and body parts after a wreck.
You didn't know that?
They tried white, but it was too hard to keep clean.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The house we used to live in  was built in 1915. In the basement, there are some very old wooden walls that are painted that same peculiar green. Then at one point I went to strip the paint off of some of the brass door hardware that was sitting in a box. No matter how many layers, there was always a layer of that same green, down near the bottom. In places where the paint was chipped off of the original stained woodwork, same thing. Always a layer of that green.

The idea of it being a primer color makes a lot of sense. I've always wondered why that green seemed to show up everywhere. That would be one explanation.

It might make even more sense if it was an *interior* primer. Mineral/box car red seems like the "default" exterior color for most things wooden, but if this green were an interior primer, then that would explain why it was so ubiquitous, to the interiors of both locomotive cabs and old houses!

Cheers!

Jay

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I worked for a large paper company for a couple of years. Every machine in every building was painted green. When the new fine paper machine was built it was chrome and stainless steel. The new building was corrugated steel full of fluorescent tubes and high power lights. It was so bright compared to the century old mills, the workers complained it was disorienting. Management pulled half the tubes and painted everything green to appease the union.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I know that back about WWI passenger cars went from maroon or tuscan to boring old Pullman green on many lines because it was cheaper and considered more durable (as well as already looking sort of dirty, and drab so the dirt probably didn't show as badly /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif).... most likely the same reasoning applied to loco cabs as well.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Posted By Mik on 03/21/2008 9:55 PM
I know that back about WWI passenger cars went from maroon or tuscan to boring old Pullman green on many lines because it was cheaper and considered more durable (as well as already looking sort of dirty, and drab so the dirt probably didn't show as badly /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif).... most likely the same reasoning applied to loco cabs as well.

Yeah......like surplus US Army Olive Drab.

Oh, primer can be about any color you want.
I have white, powder blue, and clear on-site.

The only thing that uses that color is the inside of airframes......

The Unions insisted on that color, so the crew could be buried with all their parts after a wreck!

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
In Saudi Arabia all Mercedes trucks were painted Olive G reen.  I heard that they had all that paint left over from the war.

John

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
'Cause the same committee picked the colors for grade school rooms/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sick.gif

Abandon lunch,
all ye who enter here.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Easy on the eyes and reduces fatigue.  Also has a calming effect.  Ever notice that chalkboards that were once black went green?

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
I've seen that colour on the bridge of ships and in control towers at airports during the 60's and 70's.  Newer control towers went to a sandy beige colour.  It's a soooooothing thing.

Dave

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
in the early diesels the cab interior was painted "jade green" then in the 70's or so a sandstone color replaced jade green. why? ummmm........... ?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts