G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I couldn't find any matching forum, so I please my question here.
I've an small 13 ton Class A Shay which major parts were made from brass. I got her in a show box in parts several years ago. The frame was missing, so I made a new one and got the loco back together. The loco was scaled for 1:24 I guess. Later I made a new cab from wood to bring more into 1:20.3 scale, but finally, she ended in my show case, with the battery removed and meanwhile she's in very sad condition.

Some details
- 2-cylinder Class A Shay - Properbly a 13 ton class
- E.W.T. style boiler
- Original lettered as #349, Railroad name not known

My actual gguess is, that his could be a Iron Horse Model / Precision Scale Shay in 1:24 scale, but I couldn't find any hints and details. Would be nice to know from which model the parts came. I'm planing to restore the model again, but this time in better model makers quality...

Anyhow, here are photos of the loco after the first restoration. I'm sorry for the bad qualitiy, but these photos are from the past millenium :)

This is what I got...

The new frame is made from brass, using as most original parts as possible.

First test run after restoration.

And in service after weathering and lettering.

Finally a photo of the rebuild with the new cab, which was not the best job... Meanwhile the cab is broken on many spots and the stack has gone.

Thanks for any hints,
Gerd

·
Journeyman Lunatic
3,246 Posts
McKeen cars, huh? I'd sure be interested in one of those eventually.
Sorry Gerd, I couldn't find anything on your Shay. Looks great though.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Gerd, it is a KTM (Japan) Shay. One of the very few made (about 25). They were imported under the name Sunset/KTM in the eighties. The scale is 1:22.5. There were plans for it in one of the NG&SL Gazettes a long time ago... I cannot remember now which issue it was. Best wishes from Tokyo, Zubi

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello,

many thanks so far.
The Iron Horse 14ton Shay isn't possible, since that Shay has a straight boiler, while my model has a tappered Wagon Top Boiler. I had a closer look to the engine itself and was able to find the prototype, which was c/n3095 - Collins & Garrison #349

On the ash pan cover, I could spot the word "Japan", so I guess it will be one of the KTM-engines which Zubi mentioned above.

On the one hand - it's sad to have such a rare engine rebuild so much. On the other hand, the previous owner bought this loco and tried to rebuild the Shay for 32mm gauge. Due to several failes, he wordly threwed the whole thing to the cellar wall in fact of real dissappointment. This was the actual status in which I got the loco, as shown in the first photo on top. Therefore, I did my best back in the late 90th to restore the engine. Unfortunallety, I don't have the original cab anymore, but the new won details, I may be able to make a full restoration of this loco to get her back in service on my Louise Valley Lumber Co. one day.

Thanks, Gerd

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The plans Zubi mentioned also are in NG&SL Sep/Oct 1985. Unfortunallety, exactly this issue is missing in my collection, starting in the early 80th.
Can anyone help me with the plans? They would be a great help in restoring this Shay.

Thanks, Gerd

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Gerd, I have this issue somewhere here... if I manage to find it I will scan it, hopefully someone else will be faster. It is a pretty little Shay! I have one of these. It would be great if you manage to rebuild it to make it closer to the original plans. Best wishes from Tokyo, Zubi

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
A little off topic, but in response to missing issues of the Gazette, Bob Brown, the Editor & Publisher, has just announced the availability of a DVD-ROM set containing the entire 50 year published collection of the NG&SLG. The DVD also includes 11 years of Finelines and 4 years of Slim Gauge News. It is indexed and searchable by title, author, and keywords. There are directions for downloading and printing plans at the scale of your choice.

Great way to fill in your missing issues. My paper collection going back to the mid-1970s will probably be seeking a new home.

Happy RRing,

Jerry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts