G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short:

I rode this train as a child into Montreal on a regular basis. The service discontinued and the tracks ripped up CIRCA 1960.

Looks like a tough ID challenge I say.

I'm tempted to say "Hudson"

Regards,

gg

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Hard to tell from this angle. Can you turn it sideways so we can count the wheels?! Kidding!!

Really GG, it could be anything you want it to be.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Posted By Dave F on 02/11/2009 3:37 PM
Ohhhh Ohhh.. I know I know !!!!!

It's a Steam engine !!!

Am I right ? Am I Right?

YES....... off to a good start on this one !

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
It appears to be a painting by Wentworth Folkins ... in which case there will be a caption which comes to light giving us details. Somehow I doubt that it's a Hudson ... certainly not a CN K class Hudson or a CPR Royal Hudson. That leaves the possibility of a Class H-i- or b.

It is more likely to be either a CPR light Pacific perhaps in the 1200 series or alternately one of the several H classes of CN light Pacifics.

Now does anyone have a catalog of Folkins paintings and can identify the specifics?

Regards ... Doug

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If my memory serves, the run was approx 110 km up north and into the laurentians. Combination passenger with 1 freight car. Multiple stops, call this a "milk-run" picking up / dropping off passengers and freight. The train was not long.... 4 or 5 passenger cars only.

I think a Hudson would have been too much power for the intent here maybe.

The only thing is that this train had to get up some pretty steep grades and it went in and out of valleys.

gg

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The signage "Arundel" as shown on the train station in the painting now resides on my back yard shed.

Salvaged thanks to my father.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Well GG-1, I'm going to take a crack at this... From doing some research for you I believe it to be "an artist's rendition, via paint" of a Baldwin 2-8-0 Consolidation built in 1920 and retired in 1960. Here is a link for a picture of a model version of it....

http://www.pell.portland.or.us/~orc/PVT/class361.html

-Will

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Posted By Engineercub on 02/11/2009 5:23 PM
Well GG-1, I'm going to take a crack at this... From doing some research for you I believe it to be "an artist's rendition, via paint" of a Baldwin 2-8-0 Consolidation built in 1920 and retired in 1960. Here is a link for a picture of a model version of it....

http://www.pell.portland.or.us/~orc/PVT/class361.html

-Will

WELL,

Will,
I will be ....

THANK YOU for your help. SOB... looks very up. I have bookmarked the page for research.

Now I owe you a favor... perhaps a photo shot of the new loco's coming in?

PS: Very Coy on the GG-1 business and I really am thinking of getting one of those puppys so that I can change my handle to GG-1...

GG

·
Registered
401 Posts
You are very welcome GG-1 and you owe me nothing, glad I could help ^^

-Will

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Posted By Engineercub on 02/13/2009 6:55 PM
You are very welcome GG-1 and you owe me nothing, glad I could help ^^

-Will

Will, I will send you and Willingly photo's of the new Hudson and Triplex "systems" that one day will arrive on my fearless front step via UPS...

Thanks for the support and insite..

gg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts