G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a totally stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway....
Like a lot of other folks I have a lot of film camera equipment around that I rarely, if ever use
anymore... I have some pretty nice Canon equipment, and some of the lenses I have R very
large an expensive pieces. If I were to go out and buy one of Canon's hi-end digital SLR camera
bodies, is there any way to adapt these hi-dollar lenses I have to the digital camera ?? Or is
this a totally impractical idea for probably numerous reasons ??
Paul R...

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
If you have the older Canon FD mount lenses they will not interface with the newer Canon DSLR cameras. I know, I have a case of them myself..

The newer EF mount lenses, developed for the Canon EOS line of cameras will work with some of the EOS digital bodies.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Paul

I don't know much about Cannon, but maybe the following will be of some help.

In the late-1980s, Canon introduced the EOS 35mm camera system with autofocus and the latest electronic
technology. Canon lenses for EOS cameras are marked EF on the front, such as “EF 28-85mm”. With the introduction
of digital SLRs, Canon continues with the EF lens system. All EF-series lenses for 35mm cameras can
be used on all Canon small sensor and full-size sensor digital SLRs. When Canon created the Digital Rebel,
they introduced a line of digital-only lenses are called EF-S series lenses. These lenses have the same physical
mount and electronic coupling system, but cannot be used on older Canon digital cameras and on no Canon
35mm cameras. This is because the rear portion of EF-S lenses extends deeper into the mirror chamber and
damage to the mirror on older cameras can occur. Canon EF-S lenses should only be used on the Canon EOS
20D, 30D and Digital Rebel series and newer models designed to be compatible with EF-S lenses.
Before the EOS system was introduced, Canon cameras used a different lens mounting system called the “FD”
mount. These manual-focus lenses had a mechanical aperture ring and cannot be used on EOS film or digital

cameras.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tnx guys,
Yes the lenses I have R the "FD" series, an I got the answer I expected I would get, so no surprises, guess
it would be nice if some after market accessory maker were to make adapters for situations like this, but thats
not likely to happen... Oh well, got my answer anyway...
Tnx again, Paul R...

·
Premium Member
5,627 Posts
Film cameras are going out just like Dinosaurs. Soon film will no longer be available. Time to up grade. Guess I could always donate mine to a museum. Ha Later RJD

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Pentax is the only camera system that offers any real interchangability of lenses between film cameras and digital cameras. I have a Pentax and am VERY happy with it. You might consider trading the cannon film stuff for pentax film stuff and buy a Pentax DSLR!!! Reality is that the film stuff is going the way of the dodo bird.

Jack

1 - 9 of 9 Posts