G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a shame that they're on the same weekend, so we must choose. I went to cabin fever last year and put most of my motive power through their paces. This year I have chosen Diamondhead. So who's going where this January???

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
I'm going to fill in the blank!

See you there. 

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Can we NOT have them the same weekend next year. PLEEESE lol

My father and I will be at DiamondHead with my assortment of engines, new and coming this year, aster lion and a DJB coal fired ruby, (I will be painting it up today or tommorrow, been working nonstop on it). For me, This year will be alot better since I understand a whole lot more due to this website!

Wonder which track I will be designated to run the coal fired ruby+tender, since its alot more involved in running it and the 30 mins prep, 30 mins run is tough for coal, unless I build a hot (and fired) loco carrier lol. (I will become pro fireman hopefully by that time)

I hope to meet more of you all and see you all there.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Fred,

Where's 2006? Ha ha.

Hope the hotel has improved since then?

·
Premium Member
352 Posts

Bruce,
  I WON'T hold my breath.  I always say it can't get much worse, but...........

Have a safe trip there everyone.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
I'll be at Diamondhead, the only time of year I get to see some of my far off friends.
I'm bringing a 7/8 scale loco I'm building, lots to do on it but it'll get finished.
Will there be a Shay-up? Any other group finger burning opportunities?
Andrew,
I suggest you plan to run your coal ruby in the evening or overnight when the sign up boards are inactive and you'll have plenty of time.
See you there,
Tom

·
Registered
21 Posts
Whose bringing your loco, Tom?

Regarding coal firing at Diamondhead:

On the "big" layout, there are steaming bays for you to build up you fire and get ready for the road. Once finished running, you can return to the bay and drop the fire and rake it out. The added amusement of using this layout is that if you have particularly bad coal, it sets off the hotel fire alarm. On the higher level narrow gauge layout, you steam up on area immediately adjacent to the track and lift it on the track when you are ready to go, as there are no sidings. It does not require a locomotive carrier-- I do this all the time with my coal-fired loco. Steaming up on the mainline will be frowned upon those patiently waiting their turn run trains.

Can't ever recall seeing anyone running coal on the little layout, but the curves can handle a Ruby and it is generally not as busy as the other two.

See ya'll in a few days.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Im leaving on the 8Th Mel-auckland -LA then on the Sunset limited.arriving 11th in NO.looking forward to the Train ride, NOT looking forward to the flight..
My stuff left yesterday by air frieght to Jerrys.

anyone else on the Sunset on 11th?, Im still working on NO to Daimonhead,,as coastliner bus doesnt run now..

Gordon.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Posted By Taperpin on 12/31/2008 4:24 PM
Im leaving on the 8Th Mel-auckland -LA then on the Sunset limited.arriving 11th in NO.looking forward to the Train ride, NOT looking forward to the flight..
My stuff left yesterday by air frieght to Jerrys.

anyone else on the Sunset on 11th?, Im still working on NO to Daimonhead,,as coastliner bus doesnt run now..

Gordon.

Gordon, my suggestion would be to rent a car. It's only about an hour drive to Diamondhead and you would have transportation to go out for dinner and such. Rent cars are cheap and plentiful.

·
To steam or not to steam
176 Posts
I will be going there on the 11th What time will you be getting in?

·
Registered
308 Posts
John,
The only trouble with renting a car, the wheels on the wrong side and the traffic comes at you from funny places!

Gordon.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
My plans are to come down Wednesday with Hans and I understand that Jim Pitts and our Georgia steaming pals will be there around the same time.

Ross Schlabach

·
Registered
843 Posts
Gorden, it's easy. I learned a trick when I had to drive on the "other" wrong side of the road. All you have to do is remember that the driver, that's you, has to be beside the white line on the road.

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
Posted By Dan Pantages on 01/01/2009 3:49 PM
Gorden, it's easy. I learned a trick when I had to drive on the "other" wrong side of the road. All you have to do is remember that the driver, that's you, has to be beside the white line on the road.

Dan,
How does that help when you are in the middle lane of a 6 lane highway and they all have white lines?
Gordon, just follow someone else and hope that he isn't from the UK or OZ, and hope that he is going to Diamondhead as well.
Didn't someone say that there is an alternate to the Coastliner service running now.
I'm sure that Jerry can tell you, or maybe he'll drive down and pick you up.
Happy New year everyone,
David Leech,
Delta, Canada

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
Dearest Andrew F.

They will persist in being on the same weekend because:
a] that is the weekend Jerry can book the hotel in Diamoondhead with outh a conflict with another group like the "Car Nuts".
b] that is the weekend that the York fairground will give the Cabin Fever organizers the amount of space they need at a reasonable price. Want it a different weekend, send them a check for $20K to cover the extra cost, because they can't make it up by raising the price at the gate.

Life isn't fair, never has been, isn't likely to change real soon.

Regards

Dr Rivet

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Thats ok, I didn't know the whole story.
I just don't like our live steam family split up, that is all

I will be at diamondhead around noon-3pm on the 15th and leave the night of the 17th (9 hour drive back to Orlando, drop off dad and drive back to boca raton lol), wish I can come the whole week but I am very limited in vacation time. (also planning on taking a trip to the big NGRC 2009 in colorado this year, hit up some of the 1:1's out there that I have never seen in person too.)

Andrew Finegan

1 - 20 of 48 Posts