G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Carrying on from a previous post the Aster C&S mogul is alive and well.  After taking the engine down to the frame I have all but re-built her from the ground up.  Han's had to order a few parts from Japan but the wait was well worth it.  After re-assembly and all gaskets and o-rings and fittings properly sealed and tightened the only word in the difference is absolutly amazing.  I re-set the timing and oiled her up and she ran on 7 psi in both directions.  Since it is -33 this morning and we have about 4' of snow I won't know until next spring how well the engine will pull under steam pressure.  Even at 7 psi trying to hold the center driver the increased power is noticeable.  I can hardly wait to steam her.  John Frank if you read this I'll bring her to Greg's open house in June and we can try those 3% grades and make you an Aster convert./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gifI want to thank all the people from the old post who gave me advice on getting this engine off the shelf and back on the tracks.  I learned a number of new things especially about piston rings.  Thanks to all of you.

Chuck K

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Chuck,

Glad to hear that everything is running well with your "aster disaster" ;) mogul.  The one thing I can remember from the two that I have worked on are that they are excellent preformers and will pull stumps. 

Don't freeze too much up there!

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Hey Chuck, that is good news.  Look forward to seeing it perform at Greg's.  I have always like the little C&S Moguls.  If you can make it work you might get a convert.  :)

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: C&S Mogul Rebuild Update

Hey John, if I convert you I've got an un-fired ready to go Aster Reno 4-4-0 with your name on it. Just let me know. LOL. It ticks over at 10 psi. You can use it as a pusher engine for your C-16.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts