G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I am visiting New Orleans from England  in September for a conference and wouldn't want to return home without shopping for a few items of G scale.
Do members of the forum have any suggestions regarding good stores to visit?

cheers
Geoff

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Goeff,
Three years ago [before Katrina] I spent some time in N.O.  While there, I was totally unable to find a dealer in G-guage.  Lots of O and HO dealerships were found.  None of the shops that are near the convention center handle[d] G.
In a city that large, I find it hard to believe that there are not LS local hobby shops.  I hope you have better luck than I had.
JimC.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Posted By pimanjc on 03/12/2008 8:08 PM
Goeff,
Three years ago [before Katrina] I spent some time in N.O.  While there, I was totally unable to find a dealer in G-guage.  Lots of O and HO dealerships were found.  None of the shops that are near the convention center handle[d] G.
In a city that large, I find it hard to believe that there are not LS local hobby shops.  I hope you have better luck than I had.
JimC.
I am not surprised. The New Orleans demographics are not exactly supportive of the large-scale hobby.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Geoff,
Unfortunately, N'awlins does not appear to have a large scale retailer of note. I lived there during the 90's and didn't know of one and I always check when i visit a couple of times a year to see if there is anything new, without success. However, a must see is the running layout in City Park. Another wonderful creation by Mr.Busse, with the local buildings recreated out of all natural materials.
There used to be a pretty good train shop in Baton Rouge called America's Train Yard, but it seems to have gone missing in action. Enjoy!
Jim Shutt
SAGRES

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OH DEAR! 
The anticipation of theis trip is beginning to diminish somewhat.

/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sad.gif

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Hi Geoff,

In truth, there really don't seem to be a huge number of large scale train stores in the United States.  Even if fellow MLS readers can come up with 200 significant stores, this is a big country and the stores are widely spread.  I think that you'll discover that many readers get their trains by mail order.  Perhaps somebody here could suggest a store in an adjancent state which might be worth a detour.

Llyn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts