G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say, anyone know who I would contact to get a replacement gear for my Bachmann Connie? I was running it tonight, and it just stopped moving. The motor was purring, the lights were all working, but the wheels wouldn't turn in forward or reverse. I took the gear box cover off and spun the wheels by hand a little to inspect the gear and there was a big crack in running between the teeth. Bummer, I hardly use the thing, was just running it for the heck of it tonight since I'll be bashing it soon, and wanted to have a look at in all its stock product splendor when not 1 minute into the run it stopped.
I went to the Bachmann site, and can't find a completely catalog for this particular part. Any help would be most appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the link guys. Jeff Livingston just called and told me he's gone through 2 gears already and that all I need to do is take it apart and send it in for warranty repair.

·
Vendor
3,324 Posts
Richard, I've ordered just the gears from Bachmann in the past. Call Customer service to see if they're still available. If not, Barry of Barry's Big Trains has been working on a new drive system for the Connie. It's very slick and smooth running. Last time I saw the model running was in October. Don't know if it's in full production yet.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Chris,

I just sent them the gear and the required $25.00 to keep my cost as low as possible. I received a new axle, gear and wheel set in short order.

Jeff Livingston
Kaneohe, Hawaii

·
Registered
95 Posts
This it typical of all Bachmann plastic gears. Their plastic injection molding process molds the gear onto the axle, not mold the gear and then machine the gear for the axle diameter. Due to the physical make-up of engineered plastics, and the inexpensive delrin, etc. that Bachmann utilizes, th e curing process never ends, so as time passes, the stress from gear interface and continued shrinking of the gears, cracking is common. It may be slightly more expensive, however, NWSL may be able to mold a quality gear for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts