G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Annie spectrum headlight replacement. How do l gain access to the lightbulb on a 4-6-0 Annie spectrum round headlamp? I would like to replace the light bulb with a led. I can slip the boiler front off, but the light bulb is sealed in the headlamp enclosure. Any ideas would be great.

·
Super Modulator
21,049 Posts
Normally, you take a small drill (solid end first) and push through the hole where the wire is, and pop out the lens, then you have access.

Greg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Normally, you take a small drill (solid end first) and push through the hole where the wire is, and pop out the lens, then you have access.

Greg
Do I need to release the round lamp encasement somehow from the boiler first to get a drill bit inserted? This is a fifth gen. RGS, they didn't have led's then did they? Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,187 Posts
Do I need to release the round lamp encasement somehow from the boiler first to get a drill bit inserted?
I only know about early 4-6-0s, where the headlight was clipped in to the smokebox. I would think if that is then case you could do as Greg suggests.
George Schreyr has the scoop on the early ones:
Big Haulers Tips

·
Registered
221 Posts
As far as I remember, the front light housing on the Annie just pops off. You have to unsolder the light from the switch first,then you can remove the housing.
There is a reflector inside the housing, and as Greg already said, you need to insert some kind of straight rod,or tool,and use it to press the reflector and front lens from the housing.
To reassemble, simply reverse the steps, resolder the leads for the new LED, and that's it.
Pretty simple,actually.
I just finished upgrading my Standard BH #49 Santa Fe from a standard bulb to a 2mm warm white LED (I'm also upgrading it to the rebuilt Anniversary chassis that I'm currently working on.I have to wait on a new replacement chassis underframe as the one I ordered arrived broken in 2 pieces. It was still in the box and in its' sealed bag. Bachmann is sending a replacement.).
The LED's that I use come pre-wired with resistors to 18 volts, and so some minor modification of the standard 4-6-0 locomotives' mounting post for the headlight is required.
Good luck!
Andrew

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My BH 4-6-0 under construction.
I have everything for it, except the replacement underframe.
Hey Andrew, I just finished a southern Pacific coast same red and silver color scheme. Mine did not have blue steam chest trim, but maybe you changed that. I just finished putting the Stevenson Valve gear Annie chassis under my big hauler body. Eventually I had to take the air tanks apart and with one new hole and one new half hole was able to slide the air tanks back on their mount about a quarter inch so that they didn’t sit at a slant atop the steam chests. But I’m sure I don’t need to tell you, as I have seen all of your videos, and it looks like you’ve done many chassis body replacements. Cheers

·
Registered
221 Posts
The photos are basically a mock up of what the finished loco will look like. I plan on painting the middle of the steam chest in a nice gloss burgundy color.
The wheels will remain black in order to distinguish it from my other Santa Fe #51 Big Hauler.
Also, I like the black wheel centers better than I like the red ones.
I've already installed a new brass bell,and bronze whistle on the boiler.
I also have a new ,graphite colored smoke box cover ready to go.
As far as the air tanks go, I've never had to change them,or their position on the boiler.
I just attach them and go.
The #49 will be the 6th Bachmann 4-6-0 BH locomotive that I've converted to the Anniversary chassis.
I don't have all of the ones that I've converted as I've sold 3 of them on Ebay for decent money over the years.
I've only kept the Santa Fe #51 and Virginia & Truckee #26 out of all the others that I've converted over to an Anniversary chassis.
I plan on keeping the Santa Fe #49.
It's going to be a complete redo of a totally stripped parts chassis that I've had for a couple of years now.
This may well be the last conversion that I'll be doing as a new Anniversary chassis has become so expensive that it's becoming no longer worth the time or expense .
Especially considering that there is a new generation 7 4-6-0 that will be coming out soon.
And I'm definitely looking forward to it !
I'll post photos and a video of it when it's done .
Later !
Andrew

1 - 8 of 8 Posts