G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stack I just built for the Ruby-Heisler was the third stack I have built for Ruby boilers. When I built the Ruby-Mason Bogie I built a crooked little stack to begin with. During that build-up I purchased a small Chinese lathe, and spent several days working in a shop that employed me years ago. I worked for lessons and to re-acquaint myself with lathes in general. During that time I turned a cone mandrel for shaping stack funnels. So when I built the stack for the Heisler bash, I decided to build some Ruby stacks. This is that saga......

I do not have a very complete set of taps and dies, but I discovered that the brass "Automatic Centerpunch" sold by Harbor freight had the same diameter threaded collar as the Ruby stack. The thread pitch is different so they don't interchange, but that's OK by me. I also had built a wood die for bending brass to match the curve of the Ruby boiler.(also during the M B build) This is just a piece of close-grained hard wood with a 2 inch "hole-saw" hole in it. It is perfect for shaping copper washers to match the curve of the Ruby boiler. I used a 1 1/4 inch socket as the dapping punch. I filed the ends of the 9/16 K & S brass tube to fit the curved washers.

The center part of the brass punch was shortened on both ends, and the center was bored to the size of the stock Ruby stack inside diameter. I drilled 4 holes through the tube and the brass collar, and threaded the collar. Then I bolted the collar and tube together with 2-56 by 1/4 inch brass bolts, slid the curved washers on and soldered everything together. I cut some "arcs" of .016 brass sheet and shaped the lower funnels on the mandrel.

The lower funnels were bolted together with 1-72 brass bolts and then soldered. I cut .032 brass discs to fit just inside the large end of the funnel. The center holes in the discs were tight enough on the tube to hold everything snugly in place, and I soldered the bases and lower funnels.

The upper funnels were made in the same manner as the lowers and soldered together. Here is where I had a surprise thunderstorm pop up and I lost the next several pictures. They showed the upper funnel soldered to the previous assembly, and a circle of 1/4 inch brass strip soldered into the top of the stack.

Here is one of the finished stacks mounted to a Ruby boiler.

And here are the four stacks I made.

This shows the stack base on the boiler, and the mounting threads inside the boiler. No drilling required !

I will try and put an ad in the classifieds for the stacks.

Larry Newman

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Larry,

Beautiful work as always!

I like the use of the center punch for the mounting threads...I take it these are the dime a dozen punches at Harbor Freight?

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Ryan,
Thanks for the kind words! The brass punches are as low as $3.00 when on sale at H F.

Larry

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Larry, you are putting to shame those of us with a cellar full of machine tools. What you achieve with basic techniques, and your ability to share so well, is what model-building is all about. Thanks!
Power outage?? I thought you lived in the land of mellow sunshine and warmth.

Larry (the one up north)

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Dwight,
Thanks, and thanks for taking time to get the Mason pics......REAL nice!

Hey Larry,
Where I live is really the land of very predictable weather. You will have some everyday - might be bad might be good........ We do have a fairly regular occurrence of afternoon thunderstorms when it is hot( today is a little cooler- 93 with a 103 heat index). The one yesterday caught me, I keep a current radar image up most of the time and there was not a spot on it when we had 15 or so lightning strikes that "blinked" the power 3 or 4 times. So you scramble to shut down all electronics and hope for the best. Unfortunately I had downloaded them off my camera and cleared the memory to take more pictures. The first blink came while I was editing the pictures.

Larry

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
What amazed me so, was the skill of discovery! Such is the true nature of genius...to look at something for what it can be and not necessarily take for grant that what it is should be its only purpose.

Always enjoy your presentations.

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
Check your camera, the images might still be there, unless you took enough new ones to overwrite them.
I thought I had cleaned my camera, but was happy to find the next time I downloaded pics from camera to pc, I still had earlier pics in camera.
I was happy because I'm on a new pc after the other crashed...
John

Beautiful work, what's the price range on your extras?

John

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi Larry,

As always, beautiful work.

You might check the camera department the next time you are in Wal-mart -- SD memory chips are about as cheap as Harbor Freight center punches.

Regards, Mike

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Mike,
As you might guess.... the operator was the problem not the camera ! Are ya surprised?

Larry

·
To steam or not to steam
176 Posts
That's the coolies thing I have seen in a long time. What a good idea. Keep up the good work!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts