G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our local Club in central Iowa has got started with Modular Railroading. So far we have built 8 curves, 45 degrees each that will make a 16 foot diameter double main line. These were financed by our club, CIGRS. Members are invited to build a 4 foot section to match the main line and decorate as they wish. We already have 12 of them built. We have set up at least 3 locations with good results. The issues we are questioning are, weight of each piece, they are pretty heavy. Ballast, we started with real crushed granite, adding more weight. It is also breaking loose with each move. Storage and transportation? We have made the corners stack-able on a cart with large casters that move pretty well. Would like to make the 4 foot straights stack-able, but want structures on many of them. Should the buildings be removable? How do we deal with them? What would make a lighter weight, more durable ballast? Wanting to add a storage yard.................. I know Del Oro Pacific has a huge set up, would love to see what they have going and how they move and do storage.

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Ballast- screened kitty litter or oil dry
A van trailer works good for storage and transportation, building shelves for structures will take up more room, but still possible. Also if leaving structures on, leaving more room between the shelves will allow for that.
Dennis

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
cat litter is easier to "paint", than oil-dry.

dunk litter into coloured water, put on some old window-screen to dry.

advantage: coloured on the inside too. no light spots from rough handling afterwards.

(and waterbased stinks less, than oilbased)

choose a standard of asymetrical plugs.

and try to evade the mistakes shown here:

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/17297/under-pressure/view/page/1

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Our modules were very large and got heavier as we aged. We reduced the width to about two feet (from four) on the straight sections, and reconfigured the corners so they were much smaller. Now they are lighter and easier to move in carts from the trailer we store them in. We do not attach buildings to the modules. Members decorate them each time we set up, often with a seasonal design (Halloween, Christmas, Independence Day, etc). We are setting up this weekend in Roseville, CA for International Rail Fair. I'll try to get some new pictures of the trailer, modules, and decorations.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Midwest RAILS uses No. 1 cherry stone (chicken grit) for ballast. It is held in place with a 50-50 white or yellow glue and water mix. It works, but seems to be getting heavier as the members age. The club got started almost 25 years ago.

I used a 1x4 frame and 2" pink foam for the first modules that I built with horizontal 1x4 cross members for support. It may have been my construction technique, but after a few setups the foam separated from the frame. It would have fallen out if not glued to the cross-members underneath. For some later modules, I used plywood for some and gator board for others. All tops had their issues.

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Clem's Warrior Run layout is modular and fits in a van trailer. It uses pink styrofoam inside a wood frame to reduce weight, and is fully scenic'd. The buildings come off for transport.

I'm sure Clem would be happy to give you more details. clem (at) warriorrunlocoworks (dot) com

This picture shows two modules under construction. The far one is standard pink foam top.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
If you put a couple of cleats on the outside at the bottom of each section when you stack them they will stay evenly stacked and won't slip side to side.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
The dirt on the modules is decomposed granite, which is the prevalent material in our region. It breaks down into chunks and further into almost a powder. We painted areas with yellow glue and sprinkled sifted DG onto the glue. Our layout sections have DG and LGB trackage on the top surface. Everything else is set in place. The module legs fold up and the modules are transported on their edges in a trailer.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Bob:

Thanks. It looks pretty good in the pictures so I may give it a try. I know that several stone yards carry it in different colors.

Mark

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Our modular units stack up and become very stable on the dollies. We do not have legs as our units are on the ground. If you wanted to put legs on them the sides would have to be taller so that the units would still nest together. We were going to use kitty litter at a weight of 2 lbs per unit. As it is each straight unit is just over 28 lbs. Here is a link of some pictures. http://www.houstonagg.com/build-repair

1 - 17 of 17 Posts