Back again, we are getting closer to something that will look like a Caterpillar 60. I had to take some time out and install my new compressor and air lines and build a new paint booth. My old paint booth was built for “O” gauge stuff and just wouldn’t cut it for Large Scale. While I was at it I replaced my 25 year old air brush as well, not much learning curve there as the new is identical to the old.
I’m still trying to locate a few last minute items like thread/string of the correct size and texture to represent cable on the winches. Also can’t seem to find any cable hooks of the right size, looks like I will have to make them as well, probably from brass bolts. Waiting for the weather to warm and dry before I start painting, so started on a flat car and a loading car for the Cats to use and display on.
Well enough whining, on with the pictures and excuses in chapter 5.
The radiator core is a piece of ¼ inch plywood cut to size and wrapped with Styrene pieces to build up the correct shape. The radiator sides are channels and the cast in “SIXTY” is down in them. The only way I could figure out to do them is to mount the “SIXTY” lettering to a thin strip and glue in place when finished. The shroud is layed out and cut ready to bend up, the prototype used a square to round style shroud but there just isn’t room enough on the model to do it correctly, especially in Styrene
Ooops, another fuzzy picture, oh’well. You can see the shroud with collar mounted is installed on the back of the radiator with some angle pieces as closures along the sides.
The fan blades and hub were a bit of a challenge but came out pretty good. The blocks are glued up (one is laying on the square) to shape the upper tanks from. You can just see the bolt detail on the radiator top plate and the pins as mounting bolts for the shroud (more of that modular system for easy removal to paint).
Here is a shot of the rough fitting of the radiator assembly to the chassis and making sure the fan lines up with the hole in the shroud.
The upper tank has been shaped, fitted, and installed, the radiator cap and hose outlet are also in place.
The front view of the same thing. I have added a piece of “shade cloth” to the front of the radiators; the texture is very similar to the tubes and fins of the prototype.
Same view again with the upper and lower radiator hose and piping in place. Notice the piece of “shrink tubing” on the inlet pipe of the water pump, again for easy removal to paint.
The radiators are pretty well finished except for final detail and assembly so we move on to other parts and pieces. Here a tool tray and further bolt detail have been added to the operator’s deck. This also gives a better view of some of the seat detail.
The “bumper” has been built up and installed on the “Logging Cruiser” version and the Caterpillar lettering test fit to the front radiator tank.
The brush guard frame and screen is test fitted to the front of the Logging Cruiser.
The final test fit installation of the Logging Cruisers brush guard.
Well that’s all for “Chapter 5” nothing left to build but the winches, blade, and cable dozer assembly, hopefully you will stick around for that.
Thanks for your time.