G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
I don't subscribe to your book, doesn't have to be immediately active to be interesting or informative. Old saying about HISTORY still true.
EDIT: 'Played' with it some more, no buyers regret here.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
I like it so much purchased a Grounding Vice to help hold the item I am working on, needed more hands than I was issued.

·
Super Modulator
20,774 Posts
Sigh... Nick, I was responding to you in your post#20, where you say:

Didn't know this was an active subject till I went to post about my find this morning. Over the years made several hand rails and steps soldering brass, the last was most frustrating so looked into Resistance Soldering. Found Micro Mark is offering a Resistance Soldering Set Super Value #87726. Has maybe all that you would need to do small jobs. Received it yesterday and played with it a little to become familiar. It even came with scraps of brass and copper to learn the art. Sorry I didn't decide to go this way long ago. If anyone wants to offer any suggestions how to make my learning curve easer, please do so. Thank You
EDIT; I have no affiliation with Micro Mark, just an old dog learning a new trick.
It was not an active subject.... that's all I was saying, not rejecting the content of the thread, just responding to you that it was not an active subject, someone commented out of nowhere, and then you took that to be "active"... and I disagreed... he commented on something that had been inactive for quite some time.

I like the thread, I was a commenter on it in 2011 and 2012 (8-9 years ago)....

So I apologize if I confused the case, I just was making the sole point about active vs inactive, not demeaning the content of the thread as it was and continues to be informative.

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
I found the soldering tweezers, while useful, just didn't grip the part well enough. Going to use a small needle nose pliers and 14 gauge wire to make one I can apply more pressure to. While waiting for the Grounding vice to arrive been using the Soldering Pad and pins that came with the kit. Found that to be helpful, even if I were using the 750W hand iron I use. Still havin' fun.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
Received the grounding vice. It was a big help, not only holding the item securely, but was also able get an accurate 90' angle on the step to the side. AND the adjustable table made making the distance between steps as simple as turning a screw. Still on the bottom of the learning curve, but encouraged to continue. No buyers remorse here.

Attachments

·
Registered
444 Posts
I made a poor mans soldering Jig some years ago. I'm guessing it wouldn't work for resistance soldering?

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
Noob, looks fine to me. Anything that will hold the parts you are connecting secure, that works. I used to use a piece of wood and brads to make the small parts. Looks like you are making hand rails?

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
I successfully used the Resistance Soldering unit to repair the brake rigging on my G5. As can be seen from the pics, brake and line not only came off the loco, but bent. In attempt to straighten, it of course broke. Now I have 3 pieces that need to be soldered for this repair to be successful. I used the soldering pad which has the constitution of heavy styrofoam. I pressed the parts into it to hold them in line, then applied the acid flux and silver solder. The final connection was made when the parts were afixed to the truck. It does need to be cleaned up and painted, but am happy with the results.
DSCN2894.JPG
DSCN2903.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
Noob, thank you. I wasn't sure pressing the parts into the soldering pad would allow the solder to flow. Held them better than the pins. In the future will carve out the pad to hold other things while soldering, it is expendable with the low price.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts