G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It uses Aristo Electric, Pacific loco drive wheels. The pilot truck is scratch built. The original frame was used with modifications to the new axle arrangment. The boiler & shell had to be shortened 3 1/4 inches & some modification to the cab. It has a axle pump for feeding water. All R/C items have been removed & it is now a manual operation loco.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Posted By highpressure on 01/02/2009 3:29 PM

Larry-Inspiring, much more impressive than our conversion to Berk but the list of variations grows (along with Bob's Grand Trunk Vandy tender version) making this successful entry engine personalize for many

Then we did a retrofit of a Vandy tender for Jim Shutt (MLS member) maybe Jim will post some photos since we do not have a profile shot.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have 3 hours on it on a roller board under steam & it operates nicely. I have not track run it yet as it is to cold outside for me & the Aristo tender's fuel tank doesn't like the COLD AIR either. Since it used all of the Aristo Mikados (NICE) drive gear it should only be limited because it only has the two drive axles. It is fully sprung and 80% of the weight is on the two 5/16" diameter axles. It weighs 13 1/2 Lb's with half a glass of water in the boiler. I also have to build the tender as I have to have an actual water supply for the boiler feed water pump. The tender will be like Missouri Pacific's # 5519's tender and contain the Butane tank in the feed water well for Butane evaporation.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Larry, you never cease to amaze! That's a beautiful loco! (So, you'll probably be wanting to sell "Baby" now, right? I'll give you a call!)

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jerry'
Yes this one didn't take long, as most of the parts are as-is or slightly modified from the Aristo Mikado.  After Thanksgiving I always get "ANTSY" to go to Diamondhead, so I thought this would take up some of the spare time.  I started the day after Thanksgiving and put the last Lip stick on it on December23rd. Now I'm ready for Diamondhead.

Leaky Mikado boiler.

Life is to short to "NOT" take it seriously.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
That is some leak ya gots there! How are you going to seal it? Bondo? Duct Tape? Bubble gum?

Life is too serious to take shortly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts