G Scale Model Train Forum banner

Building a 15-ton Class A Climax, continued

15821 Views 31 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  xo18thfa
Here’s my first update for 2008. The initial builder’s log can be found in the MLS archives.
As seen in an earlier message (archive page 6), the wheel castings have a large sprue to remove. 

Using my portable bench vice, I had good luck with using a jeweler’s saw and bench grinder to get rid of most of the sprue material.
I cleaned up all 18 wheel castings required by the Locomotive and trailing car before going on to the lathe for final machining.

As I posted earlier I decided to use a simplified process to do the machining, here’s the first step:
  1. I held the wheels by their tread in a 3-jaw chuck and cleaned up the backside surfaces of the wheel where the sprue used to be. The backside’s center hub was faced-off and trued-up to its diameter of .5165”.

More later!
See less See more
1 - 1 of 32 Posts
I would try a smaller gas jet, my experiance is the radiant burners like more air.

1 - 1 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.